Halph-Breed Baller Show full post »
MikeToronto
DanH wrote:


Raptors rank 4th in offence and 3rd in defence.  I don't really have any concerns, to be honest.


Here's what concerns me - an ability to produce either on demand. That's what separates contenders from pretenders - an ability to get a basket or get a stop when required, in crunch time of a close game. And this team, even though statistically quite good over a range of games, haven't shown this "extra gear" once this season.
Quote 1 0
LX
Lowry has started to turn it on defensively. I'm not sure if Kyrie is a great matchup for him in any case. It could be another good test for the Powell resurgence.

I'm concerned with both offense and defense, but only in the sense that they keep refining upon a solid base within each, and get a dependable balance between both sides of the floor. They can sometimes wear down a bit on one side or the other and fail to pull away as much as they could, and energy management comes into play at the end of games as well. And that would probably be the biggest boon to furthering their overall results - executing better on both ends at the end of close games, much like how Mike is saying. Getting stops. Getting big baskets. That's been missing a bit. But i think that comes with the further refinements.
Quote 2 0
deaner
LX wrote:
Lowry has started to turn it on defensively. I'm not sure if Kyrie is a great matchup for him in any case. It could be another good test for the Powell resurgence.

I'm concerned with both offense and defense, but only in the sense that they keep refining upon a solid base within each, and get a dependable balance between both sides of the floor. They can sometimes wear down a bit on one side or the other and fail to pull away as much as they could, and energy management comes into play at the end of games as well. And that would probably be the biggest boon to furthering their overall results - executing better on both ends at the end of close games, much like how Mike is saying. Getting stops. Getting big baskets. That's been missing a bit. But i think that comes with the further refinements.


Agreed. Keep adapting. Not only our team but our tactical plan against others.
Quote 0 0
moremilk
MikeToronto wrote:


Here's what concerns me - an ability to produce either on demand. That's what separates contenders from pretenders - an ability to get a basket or get a stop when required, in crunch time of a close game. And this team, even though statistically quite good over a range of games, haven't shown this "extra gear" once this season.


that concerns me as well, but I fail to see anybody we could get that would remotely impact that.

let's face it, there are very few players we could get that could crack our top 10.

To me, the litmus test for any get would be, is he better than miles? Is morrow better than miles? Fuck no. 

When miles can't get more minutes because the other guys are better (remember, he was supposed to be a 3 and d guy, he has decent defensive reps), I can't see who could help us. 

The one thing we need is a top 5-10 player, and that's not happening. But hey, if we can get anthony davis, sign me up 😉
Quote 1 0
MikeToronto
moremilk wrote:


that concerns me as well, but I fail to see anybody we could get that would remotely impact that.

let's face it, there are very few players we could get that could crack our top 10.

To me, the litmus test for any get would be, is he better than miles? Is morrow better than miles? Fuck no. 

When miles can't get more minutes because the other guys are better (remember, he was supposed to be a 3 and d guy, he has decent defensive reps), I can't see who could help us. 

The one thing we need is a top 5-10 player, and that's not happening. But hey, if we can get anthony davis, sign me up 😉


Just to be clear - I didn’t suggest that my concerns can be addressed via trade. Unless LeBron demands a trade to the Raps tomorrow, this is our playoffs roster.
Quote 0 0
MikeToronto
NY game was a perfect illustration of how much hitting open threes changes Raptors chances of winning. Their new passing offence is creating a ton of wide-open looks, and when those are converted at 40-50% rate (more than a reasonable expectation for NBA players), this team can beat anyone, even the Warriors. I am not kidding - they have to hire a shooting coach, change the practice routine, stay after hours, do whatever is humanly possible to make sure their wide-open looks from three are converted at the rates above. Specifically: Ibaka, OG, Miles, Van Vleet, Wright. JV, curiously enough, is already there, seemingly. 😉
Quote 0 0
elT
MikeToronto wrote:
NY game was a perfect illustration of how much hitting open threes changes Raptors chances of winning. Their new passing offence is creating a ton of wide-open looks, and when those are converted at 40-50% rate (more than a reasonable expectation for NBA players), this team can beat anyone, even the Warriors. I am not kidding - they have to hire a shooting coach, change the practice routine, stay after hours, do whatever is humanly possible to make sure their wide-open looks from three are converted at the rates above. Specifically: Ibaka, OG, Miles, Van Vleet, Wright. JV, curiously enough, is already there, seemingly. 😉


They've been working on it since the sweep last year. No Raptors practice ends without each palyer shooting at least 100 threes if not 200. And you can see the improvement from start of the season when we were hitting just 25% to now, 36% over last 15 games. 
Quote 0 0
Northern Neighbour
MikeToronto wrote:
NY game was a perfect illustration of how much hitting open threes changes Raptors chances of winning. Their new passing offence is creating a ton of wide-open looks, and when those are converted at 40-50% rate (more than a reasonable expectation for NBA players), this team can beat anyone, even the Warriors. I am not kidding - they have to hire a shooting coach, change the practice routine, stay after hours, do whatever is humanly possible to make sure their wide-open looks from three are converted at the rates above. Specifically: Ibaka, OG, Miles, Van Vleet, Wright. JV, curiously enough, is already there, seemingly. 😉


The problems last night were Lowry and DD, who were shooting bricks all night. Take their putrid performance out and the team shot over 50% from deep.

There’s been a lot of progress in terms of shooting of late. Hopefully they can sustain this while Lowry and DD get back to their usual high levels (DD particularly has crashed to Earth over the past 2-3 weeks). As elT mentioned, the team practices shooting from distance a lot, but nothing can replicate actual game experience.
Quote 0 0
MikeToronto
Northern Neighbour wrote:
The problems last night were Lowry and DD, who were shooting bricks all night. Take their putrid performance out and the team shot over 50% from deep. There’s been a lot of progress in terms of shooting of late. Hopefully they can sustain this while Lowry and DD get back to their usual high levels (DD particularly has crashed to Earth over the past 2-3 weeks). As elT mentioned, the team practices shooting from distance a lot, but nothing can replicate actual game experience.


And in the new system, with both Lowry and DeRozan used to distributing and trusting their teammates, their sucking shouldn't impact the end result all that much so long as other pick up the slack. Considering that, unlike stars, their attempts are usually WIDE OPEN, I've aimed that plea at the role players.
Quote 0 0
Northern Neighbour
MikeToronto wrote:


And in the new system, with both Lowry and DeRozan used to distributing and trusting their teammates, their sucking shouldn't impact the end result all that much so long as other pick up the slack. Considering that, unlike stars, their attempts are usually WIDE OPEN, I've aimed that plea at the role players.


I'm pointing out that the supporting cast is starting to hit their share of 3s. You point to percentages, and I noted that KL's and DD's poor shooting have been the primary cause of this - at least recently. Miles seems to be in a groove, which definitely helps.
Quote 0 0
MikeToronto
Northern Neighbour wrote:


I'm pointing out that the supporting cast is starting to hit their share of 3s. You point to percentages, and I noted that KL's and DD's poor shooting have been the primary cause of this - at least recently. Miles seems to be in a groove, which definitely helps.


Well... Haven't they recently produced a 6-35 game collectively and lost it?

I think we are on the same page, though.
Quote 0 0
elT
MikeToronto wrote:


Well... Haven't they recently produced a 6-35 game collectively and lost it?

I think we are on the same page, though.


That was against Memphis, Raptors won by 15. 

Defensive rebounding % has had bigger impact on Raptors winning than any other stat including 3pt shots.
Quote 2 0
Dmega
just my two cents ... raptors three point shooters are pretty streaky. Lowry is maybe the most consistent but with demar, OG, Ibaka and even Jonas hitting threes the starters are good.

Off the bench the perimeter players can also shoot the three. The missing link is depth of shooters from the bigs. Pascal, Jackob and Bebe are not threats.

The one player I always hated to play against was Channing Frye. He is one of the best shooting bigs and if hes available he can be useful as a specialist off the bench.

Would it be cool to have Vince...maybe. I'm not sure the possible hoopla around a VC return would be worth it especially since the Raptors don't need him.
Quote 0 0
Pzabby_2nd
Frye would be great but he's basically a more polished Siakam with less handles. I have faith Siakam's shooting will get good enough by the playoffs to not hurt the team.
Quote 0 0
JeffB
Pzabby_2nd wrote:
Frye would be great but he's basically a more polished Siakam with less handles. I have faith Siakam's shooting will get good enough by the playoffs to not hurt the team.


Define good enough? The man can't hit the broad side of a barn. I believe he's shooting 17% from three and he has no jump shot to speak of.
Quote 0 0