moremilk Show full post »
JeffB
moremilk wrote:
I think part of the reason people have this overwhelming feeling our 3pt shooting is in dire needs is the larger volume of shots taken the last two seasons.

With more attempts come more misses, and because 3pt shooting is so random, a lot of games we shoot 50% or so (nobody remembers those) and lot where we make 25% or so (those stick out).

The reality is, if you had two shooters next to each other, shooting 100 attempts, one at the percentage of the best team and one at the worst, you couldn't tell the difference - it would be around 2 extra makes for the best shooter


Last I looked we were ranked in the 20's with our 3pt%. It hasn't been pretty on many nights with us from deep. We certainly haven't been consistent and some nights it's been downright ugly.
Quote 0 0
Northern Neighbour
JeffB_STR82DVD wrote:


Last I looked we were ranked in the 20's with our 3pt%. It hasn't been pretty on many nights with us from deep. We certainly haven't been consistent and some nights it's been downright ugly.


The team is in the bottom third at 34.6%. However, there are a bunch of teams clustered within 0.4% of each other. One of them is Houston, who shoot 34.7%. 

Over the last ten games, the Raptors are shooting 37%, which is good for 10th overall. 
Quote 0 0
Halph-Breed Baller
Sign Jason Kapono
Quote 1 0
JeffB
Northern Neighbour wrote:


The team is in the bottom third at 34.6%. However, there are a bunch of teams clustered within 0.4% of each other. One of them is Houston, who shoot 34.7%. 

Over the last ten games, the Raptors are shooting 37%, which is good for 10th overall. 


We always have stretches here and there. This team on paper should be more consistent from 3. Hopefully we start being more consistent
Quote 0 0
DanH
elT wrote:


Yes, I edited my first reply before seeing your additional question, added what you asked for. Check it out.

Also, apologies to Dan if I stole your thunder since you were the one being asked. I had a good nap, looking at numbers helps focus and wake up so I can get some work done.


LOL, knock yourself out. I always take ages to reply these days anyway. Forum would grind to a halt if you all waited for me. Thanks for doing the leg work.
Quote 1 0
elT
DanH wrote:


LOL, knock yourself out. I always take ages to reply these days anyway. Forum would grind to a halt if you all waited for me. Thanks for doing the leg work.


SIR THAT IS CLICK WORK AND ONLY A FEW IN THE WORLD CAN DO SOMETHING AS COMPLEX AS THAT!!!

[wink]
Quote 0 0
MikeToronto
Was in SF all week, so watching Brooklyn and Washington games just now. Guys, you can show me all the stats you like, but our team blows sweaty balls at shooting wide open threes. Those two teams, much weaker ones, both in talent and in the standings, shot open threes with a lot greater degree of success. In fact, when anyone not named Green on the Raptors is taking that shot, my initial reaction is to expect a miss. Even Lin got affected. [frown]

I dunno what to do about it, but man, it must be dispiriting for players to run offence, get the best shot, and have it missed time and time again.
Quote 0 0
JeffB
MikeToronto wrote:
Was in SF all week, so watching Brooklyn and Washington games just now. Guys, you can show me all the stats you like, but our team blows sweaty balls at shooting wide open threes. Those two teams, much weaker ones, both in talent and in the standings, shot open threes with a lot greater degree of success. In fact, when anyone not named Green on the Raptors is taking that shot, my initial reaction is to expect a miss. Even Lin got affected. [frown]

I dunno what to do about it, but man, it must be dispiriting for players to run offence, get the best shot, and have it missed time and time again.


Our shooting has been poor most of the season. We've had good shooting nights but it's been bad seemingly most nights. This team has the talent to be a much better shooting team. Gasol seems reluctant to shoot so far too.
Quote 0 0
moremilk
MikeToronto wrote:
Was in SF all week, so watching Brooklyn and Washington games just now. Guys, you can show me all the stats you like, but our team blows sweaty balls at shooting wide open threes. Those two teams, much weaker ones, both in talent and in the standings, shot open threes with a lot greater degree of success. In fact, when anyone not named Green on the Raptors is taking that shot, my initial reaction is to expect a miss. Even Lin got affected. [frown]

I dunno what to do about it, but man, it must be dispiriting for players to run offence, get the best shot, and have it missed time and time again.



for one, the kings and the nets are some of the better 3pt shooting teams.

that being said, the difference between the nets and the raptors, as a team, is about 1%. That translates to 1 extra 3pt made every game, on about the same number of attempts.

So year, your eyes are deceiving you - the difference is pretty small.

Also, there's not a lot of correlation between team record and 3pt percentage, the cavs (11th) and bulls (12th) are both shooting better than Toronto (22nd), Milwaukee (18th), or Houston (19th).

So the two best teams in the league are ranked 18th and 22nd, while two of the worst 5 are ranked 11th and 12th.

Not to dismiss this, because we haven't really shot the ball well this year, but the impact on winning is not that great. 
Quote 0 0
MikeToronto
moremilk wrote:



for one, the kings and the nets are some of the better 3pt shooting teams.

that being said, the difference between the nets and the raptors, as a team, is about 1%. That translates to 1 extra 3pt made every game, on about the same number of attempts.

So year, your eyes are deceiving you - the difference is pretty small.

Also, there's not a lot of correlation between team record and 3pt percentage, the cavs (11th) and bulls (12th) are both shooting better than Toronto (22nd), Milwaukee (18th), or Houston (19th).

So the two best teams in the league are ranked 18th and 22nd, while two of the worst 5 are ranked 11th and 12th.

Not to dismiss this, because we haven't really shot the ball well this year, but the impact on winning is not that great. 


Was talking about Wizards, not Kings.

Have you noticed how both teams played a lot of zone against us? Care to guess why?
Quote 0 0
moremilk
MikeToronto wrote:


Was talking about Wizards, not Kings.

Have you noticed how both teams played a lot of zone against us? Care to guess why?


The Wizards are basically even with us in 3pt shooting.

Teams play a lot of zone this season, it's in vogue.

And, zone of that, we still beat them :)

At the end of the day, we have to shoot better, there's no question about that.

But the amount of anxiety over our shooting is way overblown imo.

I'd be far worried about our health, or about Kyle meshing with kawhi, than I am about the shooting.
Quote 1 0
JeffB
moremilk wrote:


The Wizards are basically even with us in 3pt shooting.

Teams play a lot of zone this season, it's in vogue.

And, zone of that, we still beat them :)

At the end of the day, we have to shoot better, there's no question about that.

But the amount of anxiety over our shooting is way overblown imo.

I'd be far worried about our health, or about Kyle meshing with kawhi, than I am about the shooting.


You can get away with some poor shooting during the season because the game is played more wide open. If we aren't better from 3 come playoff time we'll probably be in trouble, it needs to get better.
Quote 0 0
DocHolliday
moremilk wrote:


The Wizards are basically even with us in 3pt shooting.

Teams play a lot of zone this season, it's in vogue.

And, zone of that, we still beat them 😉

At the end of the day, we have to shoot better, there's no question about that.

But the amount of anxiety over our shooting is way overblown imo.

I'd be far worried about our health, or about Kyle meshing with kawhi, than I am about the shooting.


[58373927] 
Quote 0 0
moremilk
JeffB_STR82DVD wrote:


You can get away with some poor shooting during the season because the game is played more wide open. If we aren't better from 3 come playoff time we'll probably be in trouble, it needs to get better.



well, there are only two corners, and green is #1 in the league in corner 3 percentages, and siakam is pretty decent himself, at 45% if I remember the stats correctly.



Quote 0 0