moremilk
I am somewhat surprised we never come up in the Anthony Davis trade scenario discussions, not even as a dark horse mention or something.

Any reason why we wouldn't be at least on the radar? We may not have the best assets, but we could put together a very compelling package if we wanted to take that chance.

The only thing I could think of is if there would be some concern about kawhi sharing the spotlight with ad, but it seems unlikely.
Quote 0 0
elT
If anyone can do it, Masai probably can. I'd be open for any AD trade that doesn't include Kawhi.

But there hasn't been any talk outside of speculation. And I'm sure Pelicans are not stupid enough to trade him before he declines the super max. They also can't trade him to Boston because you can't trade for second 'designate player', they already have one under such contract in Kyrie. So any trade with Boston would have to come in the summer. At that time, if he declines the super max, they can start a bidding war between Lakers and Celtics and get a really good return. And in that scenario, we don't have much to compete with and will be super focused on re-signing Leonard, Green, Wright and finding a way to get better while cutting salary.
Quote 0 0
moremilk
I'm just curious why hasn't been any speculation at all about us being interested, I haven't seen/heard a single mention.

Could be just the usual oversight, people forgetting we exist. But Lowe had an article this morning and he's not one to ignore us.


Another sneakier explanation could be Masai trying super hard to fly under the radar, after all - there was no talk about us and kawhi until a few days before it happened :)
Quote 0 0
elT
moremilk wrote:
I'm just curious why hasn't been any speculation at all about us being interested, I haven't seen/heard a single mention.

Could be just the usual oversight, people forgetting we exist. But Lowe had an article this morning and he's not one to ignore us.


Another sneakier explanation could be Masai trying super hard to fly under the radar, after all - there was no talk about us and kawhi until a few days before it happened 😉


There are no Anthony Davis trade talks, Pelicans came out and said they are not trading him for anyone. All of it is pure speculation.

And he can't force his way out now, earliest he can do so is in the summer.

Why aren't we part of that speculation? Don't know, don't really care but happy that we are not, that could impact our chemistry, needlessly. And it is way more profitable for the media to talk up Lakers and Celtics.

What would be our best offer, anyways?
Quote 0 0
JeffB
No way are they trading Davis
Quote 0 0
moremilk
are you sure about that? If they keep struggling, especially after mirotic comes back, and Davis keeps giving them hints that he's not going to sign the extension, they'd be smart to trade him now, he'd fetch a much higher value even if he's bent of going to LA.

Having Davis for two offseasons is worth a huge deal to a team like Toronto for example. Win a title or two and even if he leaves, it would have been worth it. And I doubt he would leave if that were to happen.

The only problem for them is Boston can't participate in a trade until the summer, and Boston has a lot of assets.

But I wonder if NOP wouldn't be more interested in established players, given their small market status. Replace davis with ibaka, siakam/og and wright and they'd still be a borderline playoff team imo. Less top value, but better depth.

The other aspect of interest for us could be holiday. If they do trade davis and decide to rebuild after all, he could be available and would be a great addition if we could get him cheap. Both now, and long term as a replacement for kyle down the road.
Quote 0 0
elT
moremilk wrote:
are you sure about that? If they keep struggling, especially after mirotic comes back, and Davis keeps giving them hints that he's not going to sign the extension, they'd be smart to trade him now, he'd fetch a much higher value even if he's bent of going to LA.

Having Davis for two offseasons is worth a huge deal to a team like Toronto for example. Win a title or two and even if he leaves, it would have been worth it. And I doubt he would leave if that were to happen.

The only problem for them is Boston can't participate in a trade until the summer, and Boston has a lot of assets.

But I wonder if NOP wouldn't be more interested in established players, given their small market status. Replace davis with ibaka, siakam/og and wright and they'd still be a borderline playoff team imo. Less top value, but better depth.

The other aspect of interest for us could be holiday. If they do trade davis and decide to rebuild after all, he could be available and would be a great addition if we could get him cheap. Both now, and long term as a replacement for kyle down the road.


It isn't two seasons, 25 games + playoffs + 1 season, with same uncertainty they'll be facing in the summer. There isn't any added value now compared to summer yet there's a chance to create a bidding war in the summer and chance he accepts a super-max.




Quote 0 0
JeffB
JV, Lowry, OG, Wright, Miles, picks for Davis, Holiday

Holiday
Green
Leonard
Siakam
Davis

🤣

Quote 0 0
moremilk
elT wrote:

It isn't two seasons, 25 games + playoffs + 1 season, with same uncertainty they'll be facing in the summer. There isn't any added value now compared to summer yet there's a chance to create a bidding war in the summer and chance he accepts a super-max.



it's two playoff seasons, which is what matters (presumably only a contender would be willing to do it).

If I knew kawhi stays, I would easily sacrifice any player outside lowry to get davis. Lowry + Kawhi + Davis would the best core in the league imo. Whatever would be left after the trade, would be enough depth to support it (green, one of JV/ibaka, one of og/siakam and one of delon/fred would remain), plus powell. That's 3 superstars, including two top 5 players, and 5 very good supporting players. Best 8 player group in the league by far.

If I wasn't sure about kawhi, I would still do it, but I would try really hard to keep siakam. 

Having gone so far, at this point I would be perfectly willing to trade one title for 5 years of misery if both kawhi and davis leave and we gut our young core. 


Quote 0 0
moremilk
JeffB_STR82DVD wrote:
JV, Lowry, OG, Wright, Miles, picks for Davis, Holiday

Holiday
Green
Leonard
Siakam
Davis

🤣



Yeah, I could go for that, because holiday is better aligned age wise with kawhi and davis. But in the short run, I think kyle fits better with those two guys. Imagine those Lowry to ibaka sequences when Davis replaces ibaka … yum 😉
Quote 0 0
Pzabby_2nd
moremilk wrote:


Yeah, I could go for that, because holiday is better aligned age wise with kawhi and davis. But in the short run, I think kyle fits better with those two guys. Imagine those Lowry to ibaka sequences when Davis replaces ibaka … yum 😉


The way this team is playing we would probably only have seen it during the playoffs since our stars never seem to play together during the season [wink]
Quote 0 0