Halph-Breed Baller

Toronto Raptors

Additions: OG Anunoby, Lorenzo Brown, K.J. McDaniels, Alfonzo McKinnie, C.J. Miles, Malcolm Miller

Subtractions: DeMarre Carroll, Cory Joseph, Patrick Patterson, P.J. Tucker

2016-17 Cap Space: None. Above Salary Floor. Right at Luxury Tax.

2017-18 Maximum Cap Space: None. $13.5 million over

Analysis: Facing incredible luxury tax concerns with two starters and three key reserves hitting free agency at the same time, the Toronto Raptors were almost in a no-win situation. Instead they came away with better than expected deals for the two starters and committed to a youth movement for their bench.

Kyle Lowry and Serge Ibaka both re-signed for three years, which is a win in and of itself given their age. That they got both for less than the max is an additional win. Lowry got $93 million and Ibaka $65 million. While neither is checking into the poor house anytime soon, both took less than their respective max amount to remain in Toronto. All around, this is a win for the Raptors. Both are productive and fit in great with DeMar DeRozan and Jonas Valanciunas in the starting lineup.

Filling out the opening squad is likely to be C.J. Miles or Norman Powell. Miles replaces DeMarre Carroll, who was traded to the Nets in a salary dump designed around avoiding the luxury tax. Miles brings shooting and defensive versatility, both things the Raps hoped to get from Carroll, but all too often didn’t.

Powell has had an interesting run in Toronto. He’s either started or he’s barely seen time, especially last year. He’s a good defender and decent shooter and ball handler. He’s arguably the most athletic player of the Raptors regulars and plays extremely hard. If he doesn’t start, he’s likely to fill the sixth man role this year.

Beyond the Miles/Powell starter/sixth man decision, the rest of the Raptors rotation seems reasonably set. They gave up Carroll and Cory Joseph in trade and let productive reserves Patrick Patterson and P.J. Tucker walk. There was no reasonable way to retain all of them, as the luxury tax bill to do so would have hit unprecedented territory for the franchise. By letting each go, the Raptors not only saved money, but also freed up time for younger players, with whom the team needs to figure out exactly what they have.

Delon Wright will take Joseph’s spot as the primary backup behind Lowry. Given Lowry’s sketchy health history recently, Wright may be called upon to give Toronto quality minutes on a regular basis. Joseph, while he has his flaws, was steady playing behind or next to Lowry. Wright has a lot of potential, but hasn’t shown much in his limited playing time to date.

Patterson’s minutes will largely go to last year’s lottery pick Jakob Poeltl. He flashed at times and is an interesting contrast to Jonas Valanciunas, with his offensive game. There has occasionally been buzz that the two can play together, but that screams defensive deficiencies that can’t be overcome. More likely is that Poeltl continues to develop behind Valanciunas and one or the other eventually becomes a tradable piece.

Offseason Grade: C+. Toronto has been a playoff team for four straight seasons, but the question has to be asked: Did they peak in 2016 with 56 wins and an Eastern Conference Finals appearance? The Raptors weren’t in a position to rebuild, not when they’ve been this good for a while now. They also didn’t want to lock in for four to five years with this group. They did a good job of straddling both, by signing Lowry and Ibaka, but not crippling the franchise by signing everyone. That said, this team still has major holes on the bench. Only Miles/Powell, Poeltl and Wright seem ready to contribute and the Raptors are about out of tradable assets. They need someone else to step forward or injuries and lack of depth could sink them.

Long-term Grade: C-. While they avoided the pitfall of being capped out forever, Toronto still has considerable money tied up for the next three seasons in players who are all in their post-prime years in Lowry, DeRozan and Ibaka. They also don’t have any surefire young talent on the roster. The best hope is that OG Anunoby develops into a 3&D plus player or Powell takes a major step forward. And hey, maybe Bruno Caboclo really is now just a year away!

https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/247454/Atlantic-Division-Offseason-Review


Quote 0 0
JeffB
Post prime years? 28 is post prime? Lol

Kyle Lowry sketchy health? He's averaged 72GP the last 4 seasons.
Quote 2 0
Halph-Breed Baller
Not enough mention of Siakam IMO

And enough with the mention that we have no tradable assets that is pure BS!!!
Quote 0 0
JeffB
Halph-Breed Baller wrote:
Not enough mention of Siakam IMO

And enough with the mention that we have no tradable assets that is pure BS!!!


Outside of Lowry/DeRozan/Ibaka who we don't want to trade imo, we have two tradeable assets that can get us something.

Valanciunas & Powell. Beyond that, there isn't much there, if anything that would get us anything unless they're part of a package. Alone, right now they're worth little or nothing. This is why we need to see them play, to raise their value.
Quote 0 0
LKeet6
really fair review, until the final thoughts!

Said we have no depth, but named a 9 man rotation without mentioning FVV, siakam or OG.

Said about Post-prime, which is absolutely absurd for derozan, and harsh on ibaka and lowry.
Quote 0 0
moremilk
While i'm very excited about our young guys, the review is spot on. We have nobody on the bench who is screaming future star. Our young guys seem destined for long careers as steady role players, but how fast they get there is the key... We kind of need them to produce at least at an average level so the bench is competitive. It's far, far from a sure thing though.

I agree with the long term, at least on paper. In 3 years, I don't think anybody on this team will be remotely as good as Lowry has been these past years. Barring some breakthrough, the next rebuild will pretty much start from scratch. Luckily, we should remain a very good team until then, so we'll "get tired of winning" [smile]
Quote 0 0
JeffB
As much as it's true that our young players are unproven, are unlikely to be much more than very good role players etc.... I'm impressed by what Masai has gotten out of late 1st round and a late 2nd round pick (Wright, Powell, Anunoby, Siakam). His only blemish is probably Bruno although that hasn't played itself out yet so I'll leave that one alone for now.

Also, imo Anunoby might be the best player of the bunch of he can get his shot straightened out. And imo he has good form and can shoot if he slows down his release a little. When I've seen him shoot he seems to hurry the shot too much. Him and Wright are good defenders with great length and if both can find their shot.....look out.
Quote 2 0
DocHolliday
JeffB_STR82DVD wrote:
Outside of Lowry/DeRozan/Ibaka who we don't want to trade imo, we have two tradeable assets that can get us something. Valanciunas & Powell. Beyond that, there isn't much there, if anything that would get us anything unless they're part of a package. Alone, right now they're worth little or nothing. This is why we need to see them play, to raise their value.


I still think you under value our youth.  Wright has value.  Poeltl as well.  Then there's Mo-G (who is tradeable imo even though he hasn't played yet - the unknown is a great leverager at times).  I also think Siakam has shown that he has a lot of value - his developing 3pt shot is certainly going to bolster him.


Quote 0 0
DocHolliday
JeffB_STR82DVD wrote:
As much as it's true that our young players are unproven, are unlikely to be much more than very good role players etc.... I'm impressed by what Masai has gotten out of late 1st round and a late 2nd round pick (Wright, Powell, Anunoby, Siakam). His only blemish is probably Bruno although that hasn't played itself out yet so I'll leave that one alone for now. Also, imo Anunoby might be the best player of the bunch of he can get his shot straightened out. And imo he has good form and can shoot if he slows down his release a little. When I've seen him shoot he seems to hurry the shot too much. Him and Wright are good defenders with great length and if both can find their shot.....look out.


See?  Completely agree - didn't read down far enough lol.  Crossed fingers he comes back in mid late November.  His defense though and his "potential" ability to guard 1-5 (smaller 5's of course) reminds me a lot of Diaw.  His tree truck legs are certainly going to help.
Quote 0 0
KAWHACTUS
Our old man/old school coaching staff has struggled to adapt to the new game. They've kept their jobs by serving up a few slices of the playoff pie, to a ownership/management group that  spent 10 years licking the plate after others ate the pie. Last year they stifled the youth to get more of the pie. The youth will play, because there is no one else.

The article is meh.
Quote 0 0
JeffB
DocHolliday wrote:


I still think you under value our youth.  Wright has value.  Poeltl as well.  Then there's Mo-G (who is tradeable imo even though he hasn't played yet - the unknown is a great leverager at times).  I also think Siakam has shown that he has a lot of value - his developing 3pt shot is certainly going to bolster him.




Under value? I love our young players but given their lack of experience and small salary you aren't getting much for them. That's not under valuing anyone, just realistic.
Quote 0 0
DocHolliday
JeffB_STR82DVD wrote:


Under value? I love our young players but given their lack of experience and small salary you aren't getting much for them. That's not under valuing anyone, just realistic.


I see our disconnect. I see/read some of your posts as only 2 players that have any intrinsic value and the rest have none, which is not your intent. That said, I think our rotational players are better than other teams' rotational players - nothing big or high level starter quality of course (or not yet). Or packaged in a larger trade - which is where I'm coming from.
Quote 0 0
Northern Neighbour
JeffB_STR82DVD wrote:
Under value? I love our young players but given their lack of experience and small salary you aren't getting much for them. That's not under valuing anyone, just realistic.


What does their salary have to do with their value on the court? Of course the kids don't make "that much" since they're on their rookie-scale contract. Unless you're talking about packaging them to gain a star player.
Quote 0 0
JeffB
Northern Neighbour wrote:


What does their salary have to do with their value on the court? Of course the kids don't make "that much" since they're on their rookie-scale contract. Unless you're talking about packaging them to gain a star player.


Salary is always a factor these days with salary matching. A player like Wright or Siakam alone wouldn't get much unless you're packaging them with JV or another higher salary player. They aren't high end prospects imo. Middle of the road prospects on rookie deals that project to be role players. I'm just talking about what I believe the perception around the league is about our prospects. Imo Powell would get the most for us out of our young players and after that we'll see how they do this season to get a better idea of their worth.


Quote 0 0