Acie Show full post »
elT
LX wrote:
Yep. Amazing how little respect he gets. 31 points in 29 minutes. Meanwhile, since I made a point of saying that Jonas will never be the sort of all-around basketball player that Jak has been from the start, he's played three games where he's looked like a basketball player more than he has a plodding C. Quite Jak-like in fact. Loved his passing, overall awareness, positioning defensively. And Ibaka is right there as well. Having those two guys as part of a fluid offense, and cohesive defense, as basketball players, is a great move forward. In games with a quicker pace or greater talent level maybe the effect is limited and they will need to look to other options up front. But that's fine too. Everything looks very promising with this development. I gotta think it was a major point of focus in that stretch with no games. And I gotta hope that Jonas hitting a bit of a low point prior to this opened him up to being rebuilt, and that it's going to last. Next up - Siakam finding his shooting touch. Aside from the airball at the end, his threes did not look too bad. He's got the rhythm and form but just lacks the touch. It feels like once he connects a few times he will get that feel down to a point where it's respectable. Same with Delon. And that could be another huge development.


I agree on JV and given my (unfair or not) reputation as JV hater, I have to give him credit for playing with loads of energy, focus and direction. Pleasant development. If he keeps this up it helps the team a lot and makes him an asset.
Quote 0 0
moremilk
LX wrote:
Yep. Amazing how little respect he gets. 31 points in 29 minutes. Meanwhile, since I made a point of saying that Jonas will never be the sort of all-around basketball player that Jak has been from the start, he's played three games where he's looked like a basketball player more than he has a plodding C. Quite Jak-like in fact. Loved his passing, overall awareness, positioning defensively. And Ibaka is right there as well. Having those two guys as part of a fluid offense, and cohesive defense, as basketball players, is a great move forward. In games with a quicker pace or greater talent level maybe the effect is limited and they will need to look to other options up front. But that's fine too. Everything looks very promising with this development. I gotta think it was a major point of focus in that stretch with no games. And I gotta hope that Jonas hitting a bit of a low point prior to this opened him up to being rebuilt, and that it's going to last. Next up - Siakam finding his shooting touch. Aside from the airball at the end, his threes did not look too bad. He's got the rhythm and form but just lacks the touch. It feels like once he connects a few times he will get that feel down to a point where it's respectable. Same with Delon. And that could be another huge development.


If he keeps playing like this, he'll get his respect this year imo. Before last season, I don't think he deserved all that much respect, and last season was such an outlier that I can understand why people may have been reluctant. For one, it takes time to shed reputation and we're not the most watched team by the league at large.

I think this season, if he plays well the rest of the way, he will get 2nd team all nba - especially if we finish top 2 in the east.
Quote 0 0
moremilk
elT wrote:


I agree on JV and given my (unfair or not) reputation as JV hater, I have to give him credit for playing with loads of energy, focus and direction. Pleasant development. If he keeps this up it helps the team a lot and makes him an asset.


I don't know about JV man, the last teams we played didn't really attack him in P&R and we faced some pretty weak opposition to boot.

Not to mention that he's had good stretches every season. 

Let's be realistic here, we're playing the softest stretch of the season and, while it's great that we're winning, I don't know if there's all that much to learn from these games. Last two in particular - two of the  worst teams coming off b2bs and I believe their 3rd game in 4 nights.

I wouldn't go overboard with the praise until we play some strong teams again - if he does well then, perhaps he's finally turned a corner. I love that he's starting to get more confident in his jumper though, imo that's the key to his game. We'll see if it lasts ...
Quote 0 0
elT
moremilk wrote:


I don't know about JV man, the last teams we played didn't really attack him in P&R and we faced some pretty weak opposition to boot.

Not to mention that he's had good stretches every season. 

Let's be realistic here, we're playing the softest stretch of the season and, while it's great that we're winning, I don't know if there's all that much to learn from these games. Last two in particular - two of the  worst teams coming off b2bs and I believe their 3rd game in 4 nights.

I wouldn't go overboard with the praise until we play some strong teams again - if he does well then, perhaps he's finally turned a corner. I love that he's starting to get more confident in his jumper though, imo that's the key to his game. We'll see if it lasts ...


I called it a pleasant development and that is overboard with praise? 

Also, LX clarified pace/match-up issues. 

But all of that is besides the point. Both JV and Ibaka have started playing hard, focused and energized and that is a big deal. Ibaka with all that experience probably and naturally had motivation issues in October and November which is understandable even if not excusable. 

JV has a history of not having consistent focus and personal gameplan. He is finally showing some signs of being committed to this thing. Opposition be damned, he had a ton of stinkers in the past against weaker opponents. And owning DAJ against Clippers also means a lot. He also had two excellent games against NOP. The problem with JV is you never know what you are going to get. Why this stretch is important...he started playing!
Quote 3 0
LX
Yeah, and when he played particularly well in the past it tended to be in a very specific role that was not wholly connected with the play of the other 4 guys. He grabbed boards, set picks, and muscled his opposing matchup on both ends. The last three games did not have so much to do with the opposing big. He was making good plays in terms of team defense rather than just standing in open space and backing up. He offered good resistance to guys driving into the paint. And offensively there were 5 guys playing in unison - he wasn't the guy that got fed here and there for a post-up or a hesitant shot attempt. He is seeing and finding cutters. He is understanding where his shots are coming from. He knows where he should be for good spacing. It's not just a matter of him sitting in the post until someone calls on him to come out and set a pick. It's not just about finding some balance between him clogging things up and helping to make space. He's just playing basketball in the flow of the game. I don't think I've ever seen that from him much either here or on his national team. Now does that become difficult for him to sustain when facing tougher teams? Dunno. But this is a promising development.
Quote 2 0
moremilk
elT wrote:


I called it a pleasant development and that is overboard with praise? 

Also, LX clarified pace/match-up issues. 

But all of that is besides the point. Both JV and Ibaka have started playing hard, focused and energized and that is a big deal. Ibaka with all that experience probably and naturally had motivation issues in October and November which is understandable even if not excusable. 

JV has a history of not having consistent focus and personal gameplan. He is finally showing some signs of being committed to this thing. Opposition be damned, he had a ton of stinkers in the past against weaker opponents. And owning DAJ against Clippers also means a lot. He also had two excellent games against NOP. The problem with JV is you never know what you are going to get. Why this stretch is important...he started playing!


All I'm saying is I don't trust it ... [smile]
Quote 0 0
DocHolliday
What I love about the Raptor's is the players haven't given up on JV. Watching the game and if JV makes a mistake, you see Ibaka or Lowry or DDR immediately going over and talking to JV.  You can see they're all coaching him on the floor on what he should have done or what they were expecting him to do.  
Quote 0 0
Raptorman
I had the Brooklyn radio feed in my car from Siriusxm.  They were gushing over everything Raptors.  Loved how DD and Lowry play off each other and are best friends. Loved our bench especially Yak and Pascal.  At one time the play guy cut off the colour guy just because he was on another rant of how great the Raps. are. Funny hearing other announcers.   
Quote 0 0