Acie Show full post »
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu
LX wrote:
Couldn't let you get more posts than me. 3000 motherfuckers!


summer is never a good time.  Welcome back.
Quote 1 0
JeffB






Quote 0 0
LKeet6
That was fun! [biggrin]

Don't have much to add coz from reading comments, we all have pretty much same reaction, but i will reiterate quickly [wink]

LOVE the bench. Love every one of our youngsters, so exciting watching them. I'm always Mr optimistic, but honestly, which one of those players do you NOT see becoming solid NBA players?? They're all awesome. I wanna see siakam though! I think OG has immense potential. (loved his interview, starting to see some cracks in the mono-tone OG! haha...)

"negatives," lowry, DD and Ibaka struggled with the new pace and system. I see zero issues for lowry going forward, ever so slightly worried about DD, but probably will be fine, not sure where Ibaka fits in. But generally agree with others, especially liked NN's take on it, it will take time, but there's no reason it won't all fit together.

Chemistry wise, in terms of play, i see zero issues. But if lowry and DD's numbers stay low for a while, and they start worrying about all-star nods, could that become an issue? hopefully not...
Quote 0 0
DocHolliday
JeffB_STR82DVD wrote:
DeRozan seems indecisive tonight, like he wants to shoot but also wants to pass more so he's not sure at times if he wants to shoot or pass.


I have zero worries about DDR.  He's a smart player and will figure out how to implement the new system within his skill-set.  If DDR really I wanted to, I think he could average 7-8 apg.  For some reason I believe DDR will take his game to another level this year; and not scoring wise.
Quote 0 0
DocHolliday
LKeet6 wrote:
That was fun! [biggrin]

Don't have much to add coz from reading comments, we all have pretty much same reaction, but i will reiterate quickly [wink]

LOVE the bench. Love every one of our youngsters, so exciting watching them. I'm always Mr optimistic, but honestly, which one of those players do you NOT see becoming solid NBA players?? They're all awesome. I wanna see siakam though! I think OG has immense potential. (loved his interview, starting to see some cracks in the mono-tone OG! haha...)

"negatives," lowry, DD and Ibaka struggled with the new pace and system. I see zero issues for lowry going forward, ever so slightly worried about DD, but probably will be fine, not sure where Ibaka fits in. But generally agree with others, especially liked NN's take on it, it will take time, but there's no reason it won't all fit together.

Chemistry wise, in terms of play, i see zero issues. But if lowry and DD's numbers stay low for a while, and they start worrying about all-star nods, could that become an issue? hopefully not...


I don't think so.  Others do like Carroll, who stated in the summer that the Raps will "try" to implement a different system but will fall back into iso's.  Was a fair statement, even though he's a dick, but I think DDR understands that he needs to tweak his game to help take the team to another level.

Love that Powell started.  Miles is a terror off the bench.  OG is going to be a stud - I'm still surprised he fell that far - gift from the basketball gods (maybe he'll turn into that missing piece).  Same goes for Delon - stud.  There's a LOT of length on that 2nd unit. Happy about JV.  They used him a lot in preseason and really thought it would fall to the wayside once the real games started - happy that I'm wrong.

Not the smoothest play in the 1st game but so much to look forward to as the season goes forward.
Quote 1 0
JeffB
DocHolliday wrote:


I have zero worries about DDR.  He's a smart player and will figure out how to implement the new system within his skill-set.  If DDR really I wanted to, I think he could average 7-8 apg.  For some reason I believe DDR will take his game to another level this year; and not scoring wise.


I'm not worried. But I'm not sure he takes his game to another level either. He'll probably have a slight uptick in his assists, score a little less and continue to struggle from three.
Quote 0 0
7shikamaru7
im loving that FVV and Wright line up. We get ball movement without sacrificing a lot on defense. Looks like the narrative is all about the Starters and Bench.

Starters: They seem unorganized at times. The spacing is a bit of an issue and they clog up lanes not knowing the others' positions. They should just keep it simple with Lowry and Ibaka...pick and pop and start the ball movement from there. Derozan feels like he's trying to be Harden with the "nifty" drop passes but couldn't pull it off. He will come back to senses and realize he should take what the defense gives him. There were a couple of times Zipser (i think it was him) was on him and he got to the basketball but only to pass it out to JV...???? Man! Kill that dude!!

Bench: My goodness. What a fun bunch! At first I was worried with the "hockey" substitution...but it worked! CJ will be beasting off on our extra passes...and with FVV and Wright there will be aplenty. We finally got a rookie who doesn't look "awkward" on the court. First game and he fit right in. Poeltl was impressive with his rebounds on traffic and defense...he's got good hands...just gotta work those flat feet. 

Maybe we'll showcase Bebe next game...I think he's expendable with Yak and Siakam looking for PT. 

If the starters pick up their intensity in the opening quarters and the bench maintain their aggressive play...this will be a fun season.
Quote 1 0
Dmega
7shikamaru7 wrote:
Derozan feels like he's trying to be Harden with the "nifty" drop passes but couldn't pull it off. He will come back to senses and realize he should take what the defense gives him.


100% agree with this. DD is gonna be scary good once he figures out when to pass and when to score in this system. He could have had 20 points but he's going out of his way to get the assist. Two things will happen by making all these mistakes. His sense for finding the right man will lead to the right pass at the right moment. Teams will have to defend him differently and he will burn them.

JV in this system is what we all imagined he could be. Perfect system for him to contribute 100% better than last year.

Norm looks super aggressive which is the Norm I like to see. The other 4 starters can learn something from norm ... intensity with composure puts the other team under pressure.
Quote 0 0
MikeToronto
The play of Lowry, DD and Ibaka did worry me a little - those guys were all minuses against the Bulls starters! That's quite an accomplishment, and the fact that the bench took over the game doesn't diminish the disappointing performance by the vets.

Yes, both Lowry and DeMar seem to be hell-bent on involving others, and that's great, but it can't be to the detriment of the team's overall performance on the floor. And I can't help but think that Miles being on the floor with them instead of Powell could have provided extra spacing and another solid outlet.
Quote 0 0
DanH
Hey, welcome back LX!

I think the star guys just knew before tip-off that this was a win.  DeMar lollygagged his way through sets, and took the culture change to the logical extreme, passing when he should take layups and driving when he had wide open midrange jumpers.  Ibaka just sort of blended into the background.  Lowry cared for like a 2 minute stretch after the refs missed a foul call, otherwise was just not concerned about the Bulls.  Throw in that the Bulls have at least two NBA quality players in their starting lineup and they were able to put up a little bit of a fight.  JV and Powell played hard and looked really good on both ends.

The bench is a whole other story.  Those bench guys are super fun, but they are also being pressured from behind for their minutes, and played their asses off, against a Bulls bench that is about as good as the 905 bench was last year.  

I still don't like the FVV-Wright look, as I think their success will evaporate against real competition, but can't complain with the results so far, including lower minutes for the starters.
Quote 0 0
elT
MikeToronto wrote:
The play of Lowry, DD and Ibaka did worry me a little - those guys were all minuses against the Bulls starters! That's quite an accomplishment, and the fact that the bench took over the game doesn't diminish the disappointing performance by the vets.

Yes, both Lowry and DeMar seem to be hell-bent on involving others, and that's great, but it can't be to the detriment of the team's overall performance on the floor. And I can't help but think that Miles being on the floor with them instead of Powell could have provided extra spacing and another solid outlet.



Norm fits perfectly there and CJ fits perfectly with the bench kids, gotta love the "bench dad" nickname. 

If you listen to the post game interviews over at Raptors official youtube channel, there are some quite good explanation for subpar performance by the starters and complete ass kickery by the bench. The shortened camp and preseason and drastic change in approach and style being the two main reasons.

As Casey and DDR pointed out, the bench crew always had to play in this similar way because they never were dominant 1 on 1 guys. On top of it, they spent most of the summer together working and their skills and playing the new style. Meanwhile, the starters have to shed all habits and tendencies while resisting the urge to take over. Both Lowry and DDR can singlehandedly crush the whole Bulls roster in one on five fashion with heavy doses of P&R mastery. They did it for past four years. The fact they managed to resist that urge and didn't take the easy way out shows how deep their commitment is to the organization, coaches and teammates. Even if they make mistakes and pass too much and pass out of shots, that is all fine. We might lose some games but it is a learning process for everyone. It will take a while. Also, Ibaka still needs to be fully worked in with the team, it is no longer awkward but is far from smooth. 

The good thing is we beat the Bulls and got that nice first win even if it is meaning less in the long run, it helps with short term comfort and chemistry and is something to build upon. The bad thing is, it is not a true test and we can't be sure if the starters were simply uninterested or rusty or both. Fortunately, we play SAS and GSW next week, both on the road, those are expected losses anyways but the main thing is, elite competition should both bring the best out of the team, exposes the weakness and establish the benchmark. That will be something to build upon, either way. 




Quote 2 0
MikeToronto
Well, Phily on Saturday will be a good initial test - these guys are no pushovers, the Sixers are finally ready to reap the seed sown by "The Process" and noone on our team should come in with the assumption of an easy win. After that, the Western trip which includes the Spurs and the Warriors should provide an even better indication of where the team is at.

Co-incidentally, I will be in SF on Wednesday night. I doubt I am making it to the game, though. [frown]
Quote 0 0
JeffB
Quote 0 0