Acie Show full post »
DanH
moremilk wrote:
The slippage is undeniable, the cause is the key though. I think, or at least I hope, that the main reason is lack of focus. We kind of lost a target once we took the big lead and we've been playing a few teams who are somewhat desperate. The next few games will be a much better indicator of what's going on. The #1 seed is no longer a sure thing.


I think the games against Boston will tell the tale.  Win those and the 1 seed is essentially locked.  So the team should show up for those games.  In theory.
Quote 0 0
LX
Agreed. They should have a real sense of urgency vs Boston that is probably hard to manufacture against other teams when there is fatigue and a comfortable place in the standings. I still liked that they hit first and hit hard against the Clippers. It was what the Warriors did to Toronto and it worked. Just barely, but it worked in spite of weary legs and looking for the seconds to wind down as much as anything. Would've worked for the Raptors as well had they capitalized on that first punch a bit more.
Quote 0 0
edki
how do you "hit hard" if 4 out of your starting 5 are low energy guys.
BOS will play hard especially because it will be their second unit guys trying to prove their value.

Our only hope is CJ miles and Lowry hitting 3s.
Quote 0 0
moremilk
DanH wrote:


I think the games against Boston will tell the tale.  Win those and the 1 seed is essentially locked.  So the team should show up for those games.  In theory.


yes, even winning one will almost guarantee it, provided we win tomorrow. If we win both, we'll lock it by next Tuesday, even if we lose to both Denver and Cleveland.

But I'm not feeling too comfortable about the 2nd game, after playing the cavs in what should be a high-energy game. We'll be at home, and Boston is on a b2b too, but I like our chances on Saturday more. We'll be rested and Boston will be back from the west trip which tends to make teams drowsy.

The next 7 days will be quite exciting ... hopefully happy too 😉
Quote 1 0
DanH
moremilk wrote:


yes, even winning one will almost guarantee it, provided we win tomorrow. If we win both, we'll lock it by next Tuesday, even if we lose to both Denver and Cleveland.

But I'm not feeling too comfortable about the 2nd game, after playing the cavs in what should be a high-energy game. We'll be at home, and Boston is on a b2b too, but I like our chances on Saturday more. We'll be rested and Boston will be back from the west trip which tends to make teams drowsy.

The next 7 days will be quite exciting ... hopefully happy too 😉


Considering how Casey played out the last Cavs game, and how the Cavs lined up an LBJ-Love frontcourt out the gate, I wouldn't be shocked if a couple of key rotation players got that night off.  Ibaka especially.  Casey didn't seem to want to show his hand with small lineups (Ibaka-Siakam frontcourt only got like a minute that game) anyway, and being able to go a little small with OG at the 4 against LBJ right out the gate is good for him to get reps in defending him - same goes for extended minutes for Siakam.  And leaves Ibaka rested for the more important Boston game.  IF the Raps like Cleveland in third, might not be an awful game to rest one of the stars too, depending on who seems to need it.

I think the Raptors should take both Boston games.
Quote 1 0
deaner
DanH wrote:


Considering how Casey played out the last Cavs game, and how the Cavs lined up an LBJ-Love frontcourt out the gate, I wouldn't be shocked if a couple of key rotation players got that night off.  Ibaka especially.  Casey didn't seem to want to show his hand with small lineups (Ibaka-Siakam frontcourt only got like a minute that game) anyway, and being able to go a little small with OG at the 4 against LBJ right out the gate is good for him to get reps in defending him - same goes for extended minutes for Siakam.  And leaves Ibaka rested for the more important Boston game.  IF the Raps like Cleveland in third, might not be an awful game to rest one of the stars too, depending on who seems to need it.

I think the Raptors should take both Boston games.


Wolf


Exactly how many years in a row have we talked about casey holding things back this time of year? I’d love for the raps to come out of the playoff gate in another gear... but I’m very doubtful. For now... I’ve gotta believe the present raptors are the playoff raptors.
Quote 0 0
Dskotek
Can’t speak for what Casey does or does not have in his back pocket. But it seems clear to me anyways that some of our key players are throttling down to conserve their bodies.
Quote 0 0
moremilk
DanH wrote:


Considering how Casey played out the last Cavs game, and how the Cavs lined up an LBJ-Love frontcourt out the gate, I wouldn't be shocked if a couple of key rotation players got that night off.  Ibaka especially.  Casey didn't seem to want to show his hand with small lineups (Ibaka-Siakam frontcourt only got like a minute that game) anyway, and being able to go a little small with OG at the 4 against LBJ right out the gate is good for him to get reps in defending him - same goes for extended minutes for Siakam.  And leaves Ibaka rested for the more important Boston game.  IF the Raps like Cleveland in third, might not be an awful game to rest one of the stars too, depending on who seems to need it.

I think the Raptors should take both Boston games.


Resting some key players would be a gutsy move, the right one imo, but we'll see if Casey pulls it off. Not sure if the game is on TV, if it is, he won't be able to do it anyway.
Quote 0 0
DanH
moremilk wrote:
Resting some key players would be a gutsy move, the right one imo, but we'll see if Casey pulls it off. Not sure if the game is on TV, if it is, he won't be able to do it anyway.


Raps Celtics on the back to back is on national TV in the states.  Not Raps Cavs though.
Quote 0 0