shadowfax Show full post »
LX
Can someone explain how Gasol cost them the game? I thought there was plenty of blame to go around.
Quote 1 0
DanH
I remember Gasol blowing a layup and hesitating on a few open shots. But he was not very high on the list of reasona they lost, IMO.

I'd say: 1) the awful start, which was just a complete lack of direction on offence, leading to forced shots and misses letting Milwaukee live in transition early; this might be a coaching thing but no one seemed locked in at all, just one of those things I think. 2) Using Siakam to guard Giannis early and then going back to it in the 2nd half. It contributed to his foul trouble, and also sapped his energy which made the offence even worse. 3) Running that big lineup in the 4th, leaving Serge in way too long and leaving OG on the bench in spite of him being the best defender on the team both on the season and in the Giannis matchup that night.

Those last two are definitely coaching decisions, but also ones I'm not too mad at. Trying stuff to try it early in the season makes all sorts of sense, these are losses the team can live with. And they showed a lot of fight to get back in the game after the awful start. 
Quote 2 0
LOG
Gasol didn't cost us a game, but he is playing like a trash to start the year. He can't hit a shot to save his life, his defense got worse and his decision making is slow mo. We will need to look for a replacement soon. 
Quote 0 0
DocHolliday
LOG wrote:
Gasol didn't cost us a game, but he is playing like a trash to start the year. He can't hit a shot to save his life, his defense got worse and his decision making is slow mo. We will need to look for a replacement soon. 


Or......he just won a Championship with the Raptors and then went on to win the World Championship with Spain in the summer - thus he's had no real time off to recover and no real training camp.  To date, this is the most competitive basketball Gasol has played successively and he's 34.  Maybe some slack is in order?
Quote 1 0
The Statistic
I don’t get this whole “didn’t have time to recover” talk. Not one sport takes around 2 months to recover from no matter the level. Not only that it’s not like he’s 40, people really make him seem older than he is.

I have faith in Big Spain and I hope he pulls it together but let’s not blame this on being tired because these are professional athletes surrounded by the best conditioning staff. Not average joes recovering from a big weekend in the local men’s tournament.
Quote 1 0
LX
Yeah i think it’s more accurate to suggest that he took the pre-season off and is easing into the regular season as a means of ensuring that he can sustain another long run, and right now there is some rust included in that deal as a result. I don’t think he’s been entirely bad. He missed some shots he should have hit. Again - he was not at all alone in that. 
Quote 2 0
JeffB
DocHolliday wrote:


Or......he just won a Championship with the Raptors and then went on to win the World Championship with Spain in the summer - thus he's had no real time off to recover and no real training camp.  To date, this is the most competitive basketball Gasol has played successively and he's 34.  Maybe some slack is in order?


He had a month between the end of Spains run to the start of the season. He didn't really participate in training camp or preseason. If he didn't have enough time, why is he starting and playing more minutes than Ibaka, who is playing better?
Quote 0 0
DocHolliday
JeffB wrote:


He had a month between the end of Spains run to the start of the season. He didn't really participate in training camp or preseason. If he didn't have enough time, why is he starting and playing more minutes than Ibaka, who is playing better?


 ....question better suited to the coach?
Quote 1 0
moremilk
Gasol needs shooters around him to be effective, his offense is primarily his passing. The bench has few shooters, unless they play Kyle and Thomas alongside him.

I actually like gasol with the starters, even last season he wasn't very effective with the bench unit.

And gasol has slowly improved, he'll never be much more than this - and he's more than serge most nights. Ibaka's defense is very spotty, beyond the blocks. He was particularly bad against the bucks.
Quote 0 0
JeffB
moremilk wrote:
Gasol needs shooters around him to be effective, his offense is primarily his passing. The bench has few shooters, unless they play Kyle and Thomas alongside him.

I actually like gasol with the starters, even last season he wasn't very effective with the bench unit.

And gasol has slowly improved, he'll never be much more than this - and he's more than serge most nights. Ibaka's defense is very spotty, beyond the blocks. He was particularly bad against the bucks.


Meh, Gasol's defense atp is very spotty as well. The difference is, Ibaka is more agile and far better offensively. I don't give a shit who starts, but the minutes distribution right now should be even and who finishes games shouldn't automatically be Gasol.
Quote 0 0
LX
moremilk wrote:
Gasol needs shooters around him to be effective, his offense is primarily his passing. The bench has few shooters, unless they play Kyle and Thomas alongside him.

I actually like gasol with the starters, even last season he wasn't very effective with the bench unit.

And gasol has slowly improved, he'll never be much more than this - and he's more than serge most nights. Ibaka's defense is very spotty, beyond the blocks. He was particularly bad against the bucks.


what Nurse and Kyle and Fred have been saying is that he needs to be more aggressive to be effective. If he turns into nothing but a passer, which you are suggesting is all that he is going to be, then teams are just going to play off of him and muck everything up including his passing.

So far he has simply been easing his way back and looking primarily to keep the ball moving. He can do way more than that, unless he’s simply hit some kind of a wall at 34.
Quote 2 0
DanH
LX wrote:


what Nurse and Kyle and Fred have been saying is that he needs to be more aggressive to be effective. If he turns into nothing but a passer, which you are suggesting is all that he is going to be, then teams are just going to play off of him and muck everything up including his passing.

So far he has simply been easing his way back and looking primarily to keep the ball moving. He can do way more than that, unless he’s simply hit some kind of a wall at 34.


Gasol should have a quicker trigger on his jumper, especially from three, but also in the high post if teams are abandoning him there. 

But he should not be venturing closer to the rim than the high post with rare exceptions. If he hit a wall in terms of inside effectiveness, he hit it a few years ago, with his 2P FG% being below 50% for the last 4-5 years. He's well below those numbers this season, but I think that's just him working his way back. But even if he gets back to the peak of what he's been the past few years, he should still be operating outside the paint for the most part. He's not really a post scorer and hasn't been for ages.
Quote 2 0