Acie Show full post »
DanH
elT wrote:


McCaw was responsible for at least three turnovers by either not making the pass soon enough, not working harder to open up or by turning it over. He also allowed easy blow byes for Trae Young every time down the floor during that horrible stretch. He was not the only culprit but was the main one and by a wide margin.


Yeah, McCaw's reputation as a defender is one I just don't get. He gets blown by more than any player I've ever watched. He can make useful digs as a help defender with those long arms, but put the guy on the ball and it's a disaster. 

The offence is a whole other mess entirely. He actually had a few nice drives and passes in this game and still was a huge negative on that end with the Hawks being able to ignore him entirely down the stretch (as well as the more obvious disaster of being on the court for the full court press).
Quote 2 0
JeffB
elT wrote:


McCaw was responsible for at least three turnovers by either not making the pass soon enough, not working harder to open up or by turning it over. He also allowed easy blow byes for Trae Young every time down the floor during that horrible stretch. He was not the only culprit but was the main one and by a wide margin.


Meh, he was a +7 and that's always looked at with McCaw to hate on him (+/-). 
Quote 0 0
DanH
JeffB wrote:


Meh, he was a +7 and that's always looked at with McCaw to hate on him (+/-). 


The all bench unit was really good in this one (Hawks bench sure helps, as does Norm just going insane) up until about 4 minutes left. That includes McCaw, who was OK up until that point, making two or three good plays and mostly not hurting the team too much in spite of not helping them much either. At that point McCaw was a +23 for the game. A result we would all be happy with: a few too many minutes on most nights but against the Hawks it's all good.

Then Nurse stuck with the group too long, and had McCaw guarding Trae, and it started (predictably) going poorly for them as more Atlanta starters checked back in. That group proceeded to choke away most of the lead. Nurse had to go back to the starters, but left Lowry on the bench and McCaw in the game (and Norm in for OG, which is also bad but defensible in this game). They of course continued to choke away the lead. Lowry finally checked in (for Gasol, somehow, instead of McCaw) and the Raptors barely scraped their way out of this one. 

McCaw can be useful as a small minutes, bench-only, sheltered minutes, buy time for your top two guards to rest at once guy. In this game that even meant our bench killing the Hawks bench. But you start playing him more than that and it all falls apart. Every time.
Quote 0 0
elT
DanH wrote:


Yeah, McCaw's reputation as a defender is one I just don't get. He gets blown by more than any player I've ever watched. He can make useful digs as a help defender with those long arms, but put the guy on the ball and it's a disaster. 

The offence is a whole other mess entirely. He actually had a few nice drives and passes in this game and still was a huge negative on that end with the Hawks being able to ignore him entirely down the stretch (as well as the more obvious disaster of being on the court for the full court press).


He can be good but needs to be way more conservative and focus on containing instead of gambling too often and pressuring  too much thinking he can recover with quickness and length.
Quote 1 0
JeffB
DanH wrote:


Yeah, McCaw's reputation as a defender is one I just don't get. He gets blown by more than any player I've ever watched.


Ever? I've seen far bigger pylons in this organization,  let alone the rest of the league. I'm going to assume you're exaggerating. 
Quote 0 0
DanH
JeffB wrote:


Ever? I've seen far bigger pylons in this organization,  let alone the rest of the league. I'm going to assume you're exaggerating. 


Really am not. Even the guys who were incapable of defence tended to try, and would get destroyed on screens, and would lay back and give up jumpers rather than get blown by directly - and if they did get blown by it was because the offensive player made a dribble move that just ruined their incapable-of-defending feet. McCaw has all the footspeed and length to play halfway decent defence and just lets guys walk past him. No screen. No move. Just plays right up on guys, angles to let them past, and then lets them past. All the time.
Quote 2 0
DocHolliday
JeffB wrote:


Ever? I've seen far bigger pylons in this organization,  let alone the rest of the league. I'm going to assume you're exaggerating. 


Did you watch the video in the McCaw thread that Acie posted?  Pylon.  Has a full breakdown of McCawful - fails the eye test and the numbers back it up.
Quote 0 0
JeffB
DocHolliday wrote:


Did you watch the video in the McCaw thread that Acie posted?  Pylon.  Has a full breakdown of McCawful - fails the eye test and the numbers back it up.


I just saw it, I'll watch it later. I've never said he's a great player and don't understand all the minutes he's getting lately. But since he's been here I've liked some of things I've seen from him. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Quote 0 0
DanH
JeffB wrote:


I just saw it, I'll watch it later. I've never said he's a great player and don't understand all the minutes he's getting lately. But since he's been here I've liked some of things I've seen from him. 🤷🏼‍♂️


I like some things too. He's pretty good at digging into passing lanes and on drives/postups as the helper off the ball. He can make a swing pass. He's hit a decent number of the shots he's actually taken.

But the bad far, far outweighs the good with McCaw. Every good thing comes tied to a dozen bad things. 
Quote 0 0
Mo_fusion
What to with the McCaww Cawww Cawww ðŸ¦
Quote 0 0
LX
Fred would have easily been the better bet to guard Trae, but he didn’t need to be stressing his hamstring at this point. I love some possessions from McCaw, but then he goes to the other extreme. In this game he simply refused to shoot and there just isn’t any place for him if that’s the case, except 10th man, which is probably where he settles out at after providing pretty good minutes for a 10th man when the team was shorthanded. 
Quote 2 0