shadowfax Show full post »
elT
chinesefollower wrote:
First time poster here.  Just created an account.  

I only watched 4th quarter.  I thought we were going to lose for sure.  What a dramatic ending.  

On the last play.  OG did foul him a bit by slapping the hand but that Pacers guy totally ACTED/OVER-REACT like he was hacked severely.  That was a scramble play for them.  And Kawhi got fouled many times and they don't call them.  I am fine with that.


FVV finally rocked!


WELCOME ABOARD!


Quote 0 0
moremilk
Ball Don't Lie wrote:
That was a miracle win. We were thoroughly outplayed all night until we found a lineup that put the clamps on them for a few minutes and we somehow managed to make the impossible...possible. What a win. What a season. Hopefully Lowry is back on Friday to get some target practice vs the Cavs. Keep Serge out and rest that knee up until we're at PHI on SAT.

I think with Nurse benching Miles in favor of scrubs in the 2nd half, hopefully thats a bat signal to Masai to trade for a dependable shooter. 

With Waiters coming back soon, Miami is going to have 5 SG'S. Wayne Ellington needs to find a home in the north. 


ellington is shooting 37% this season, 38% career, miles is 36% career, shooting 30% this season.

Assuming miles will return to his average (unless you believe he somehow forgot to shoot after 10 years of 36%), that's a lateral move at best. Neither of them would play much if at all in the playoffs.

If we can get him for cheap, or a trade for miles, sure - but I'd definitely not give away any assets for him. He's been quite bad this year when he got good minutes.
Quote 0 0
chinesefollower
As much as I like Kawhi, he is really not a Leader type.  He is too quiet.  Danny Green is already seen like the Leader right now with Kyle resting.  He was communicating all the time and he seems to be a genuine good guy and wants to be party of Raptors.  Look at how many interviews and shows Danny has done so far? 

 Many people talked about Kawhi but I feel Danny is the real gem here.  Hey at least Danny didn't say he want to leave Raptors.  lol  


Quote 0 0
gurk
what a win, this was the most hype I have been all year while watching the game. good effort to pull it out, lets go!!!
Quote 0 0
Dskotek
Boucher is going to be a player.
Quote 0 0
Ball Don't Lie
moremilk wrote:


ellington is shooting 37% this season, 38% career, miles is 36% career, shooting 30% this season.

Assuming miles will return to his average (unless you believe he somehow forgot to shoot after 10 years of 36%), that's a lateral move at best. Neither of them would play much if at all in the playoffs.

If we can get him for cheap, or a trade for miles, sure - but I'd definitely not give away any assets for him. He's been quite bad this year when he got good minutes.


I think we could get Ellington for a 2nd and filler at this point. Miles takes too many quick 3s he's not capable of making. Ellington can make those 3's where he's going full speed around a pindown a la Redick which opens up rolls to the rim and increased spacing, and he can make open 3's.

In terms of open spot up shots, Ellington is at 37% this year, 40% last year(CJ was at 36%) on a  team that struggled to create open looks due to limited offensive creators. I think being on this team in CJs role, we'd see a nice upgrade with Ellington shooting much cleaner looks than he did in MIA.

The shots we're getting off of Kawhi getting in the paint are GREAT shots, we're just not hitting any of them. If we were, Kawhi would be averaging 10+ APG for the past 3 games. He was especially good in the DEN  game, where we were especially bad hitting anything. 

Who would you suggest we go after that is probably available, where we'd be able to keep our key bench guys in tact? Or would you look to do a bigger deal(lets get away from the Beal discussion since its unrealistic)?
Quote 0 0
dwchills
Dskotek wrote:
Boucher is going to be a player.


Believe or not Whiteside was almost as thin coming out of college and look at him now. I say Boucher gets on the Whiteside diet and  he would be a nice little cog for the Raps.

On another note, I have to agree with BDL, Ellington is a much better open look shooter than CJ, not to mention I have to disagree with MM when he says another shooter is not a need. If you can't hit open shots in the playoffs, it's a wrap. Yes, Milwaukee is going to live by the sword or die by it, but if they're hitting, they're gonna be a tough out. Bottom line we don't have enough dependable shooters, and in the playoffs, it's NOT about volume, it's all about efficiency, and right now we don't have that. It really doesn't matter how you win regular season games, it's about making big shots in playoff games, ask Steve Kerr; when MJ passed him the ball, there was great odds he was making that shot, and other than Danny Green, I'm not sure we have that.
Quote 0 0
moremilk
Ball Don't Lie wrote:


I think we could get Ellington for a 2nd and filler at this point. Miles takes too many quick 3s he's not capable of making. Ellington can make those 3's where he's going full speed around a pindown a la Redick which opens up rolls to the rim and increased spacing, and he can make open 3's.

In terms of open spot up shots, Ellington is at 37% this year, 40% last year(CJ was at 36%) on a  team that struggled to create open looks due to limited offensive creators. I think being on this team in CJs role, we'd see a nice upgrade with Ellington shooting much cleaner looks than he did in MIA.

The shots we're getting off of Kawhi getting in the paint are GREAT shots, we're just not hitting any of them. If we were, Kawhi would be averaging 10+ APG for the past 3 games. He was especially good in the DEN  game, where we were especially bad hitting anything. 

Who would you suggest we go after that is probably available, where we'd be able to keep our key bench guys in tact? Or would you look to do a bigger deal(lets get away from the Beal discussion since its unrealistic)?


it's not that I don't think we could use another shooter, but I'm not sure what would qualify as filler. Maybe a 2nd rounder would be enough to convince them to swap milles for ellington, in which case great. 

I wouldn't even bother with any trade unless I think the guy can play in the playoffs. While having home court would be great, I wouldn't sacrifice a core young guy, not even powell who is overpaid - because of the whole kawhi situation.

The only trades I would be interested is in veterans with a proven record of being able to contribute in the playoffs. Unfortunately, guys like ariza or Korver are off the market and I'm drawing blanks on other targets.

Ultimately though, my main point is that all this talk about our 3pt shooting is off target, we have a lot of capable shooters who are also great defenders. It will be really, really hard to upgrade them because of that. What we really need, is not gettable without major sacrifices (another all star/near all star shot creator). Rebounding is an issue, but the main issue I think is having another guy capable to create shots when one of kawhi/kyle are struggling.
Quote 0 0
moremilk
dwchills wrote:


Believe or not Whiteside was almost as thin coming out of college and look at him now. I say Boucher gets on the Whiteside diet and  he would be a nice little cog for the Raps.

On another note, I have to agree with BDL, Ellington is a much better open look shooter than CJ, not to mention I have to disagree with MM when he says another shooter is not a need. If you can't hit open shots in the playoffs, it's a wrap. Yes, Milwaukee is going to live by the sword or die by it, but if they're hitting, they're gonna be a tough out. Bottom line we don't have enough dependable shooters, and in the playoffs, it's NOT about volume, it's all about efficiency, and right now we don't have that. It really doesn't matter how you win regular season games, it's about making big shots in playoff games, ask Steve Kerr; when MJ passed him the ball, there was great odds he was making that shot, and other than Danny Green, I'm not sure we have that.


I'm not saying it's not a need to be clear, I just don't see how guys like Fredette would be helping us. I would have loved ariza, if we could get him cheap, or somebody of that nature. 

As it stands, we have kyle, green, kawhi and fred who are top tier shooters (outside of the super elite 45%+ guys who are rare and usually bad defenders). We have Miles, ibaka, siakam, og, powell and wright who are competent. That's 10 guys who can shoot 35% from 3, it's a lot and more than most teams. 

Right now we are 17th in the league in 3p%, but the difference between us and #7 is 0.013%, we're taking 13 makes over 1000 shots. At the rate we're shooting 3s, it's about 1 point a game. And we'be been in a slump lately, heck, if today we shot 50% from 3, we'd probably be top 10 by tomorrow.

With our defense, I don't think 3pt shooting will be a major issue. Shot creation and rebounding on the other hand, those are areas of need, especially in the playoffs.


Quote 0 0
deaner
moremilk wrote:


it's not that I don't think we could use another shooter, but I'm not sure what would qualify as filler. Maybe a 2nd rounder would be enough to convince them to swap milles for ellington, in which case great. 

I wouldn't even bother with any trade unless I think the guy can play in the playoffs. While having home court would be great, I wouldn't sacrifice a core young guy, not even powell who is overpaid - because of the whole kawhi situation.

The only trades I would be interested is in veterans with a proven record of being able to contribute in the playoffs. Unfortunately, guys like ariza or Korver are off the market and I'm drawing blanks on other targets.

Ultimately though, my main point is that all this talk about our 3pt shooting is off target, we have a lot of capable shooters who are also great defenders. It will be really, really hard to upgrade them because of that. What we really need, is not gettable without major sacrifices (another all star/near all star shot creator). Rebounding is an issue, but the main issue I think is having another guy capable to create shots when one of kawhi/kyle are struggling.


That’s where I think that 5M that came with Kawhi could really come in handy. Tank teams that just want to dump a player like a Rodney hood they will not be resigning next year. Cash talks more than second rounders IMO.
Quote 0 0
Mo_fusion
Wow what a come back!!!
Quote 0 0
deaner
Would Wade want one more run with a contender? Miami do him a solid and trade him to Toronto for Richardson and cash?

Mirotic rose barea taj Lin
Quote 0 0
Dmega
Lets add my 2 cents to the conversation...we are gonna need to match the celtics and bucks fire power in the playoffs and Wayne Ellington is an ideal big shot maker this bench can use. We do have a lot of guard depth which can be moved in a trade. I kind of prefer trying to land PJ Tucker. Not sure we have what it would take but his 3point percentage is outstanding plus we could use another 3/4 who can defend multiple positions.
Quote 0 0
JeffB
😂😂😂

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrmUQ45gcQe/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=94xmhg4t5a4x
Quote 1 0
3forthewin
How sweet it is to be on the other side of a game ending controversial call!
Quote 0 0