Acie Show full post »
Pzabby_2nd
The example i brought up with Casey was a symbol of his coaching in the playoffs - Not up to par. Casey was great at everything except for Xs and Os. In the playoffs those become a necessary condition to winning. Casey was always reactionary, hence the Bebe issue - the fact that it happened as a reaction to getting the shit beat out of us is exactly what was wrong with him. If he thought that would work he should have done it before cavs shit on us.

Jury is out on Nurse. But he's a rookie, so that's a bummer. Bud would have been perfect for this squad, but alas that doesn't always work out. The Kawhi FA complicates everything because otherwise I think nurse can be a championship coach if given time. Hopefully we show something in the playoffs that, championship or Not, Kawhi buys in to the project here.
Quote 0 0
LX
What complicates everything and makes every challenge greater, is simply the lack of continuity among guys that just haven’t had much time together. The talent is there. Nurse has abilities. But it feels like another year together would get them closer to their ceiling. Maybe the intensity of the playoffs gets them there. You never know. I think they have every chance at success, but the success could be something that comes more as second nature a year from now, not unlike what we see with the Rockets right now.
Quote 1 0
CobraKing
JeffB_STR82DVD wrote:


If he's hurt why play at all? If a player is hurt you don't sit him once a week and play him 35min in the other games.


Agreed, this is super frustrating. Sit him out for the rest of the season so the team can mesh with the limited time that's left or play him.
Quote 0 0
moremilk
CobraKing wrote:


Agreed, this is super frustrating. Sit him out for the rest of the season so the team can mesh with the limited time that's left or play him.


So why do you guys think he's sitting? Curious to see what theories people have on this?
Quote 0 0
deaner
moremilk wrote:


So why do you guys think he's sitting? Curious to see what theories people have on this?


It’s a core question as a raptor fan. Everyone is operating under different assumptions.
Quote 0 0
CobraKing
moremilk wrote:


So why do you guys think he's sitting? Curious to see what theories people have on this?


deaner wrote:


It’s a core question as a raptor fan. Everyone is operating under different assumptions.


Initially thought it might've been his confidence and/or nerves due to the type of injury he suffered from Pachulia's dirty play compounded with the issues with SAS head office and coaching. But when he does play, he doesn't exhibit this.

Seems like it would be common sense to have a 'complete' roster play out the final games leading up to the Playoffs but what do I know?


Quote 0 0
JeffB
CobraKing wrote:




Initially thought it might've been his confidence and/or nerves due to the type of injury he suffered from Pachulia's dirty play compounded with the issues with SAS head office and coaching. But when he does play, he doesn't exhibit this.

Seems like it would be common sense to have a 'complete' roster play out the final games leading up to the Playoffs but what do I know?




It makes not sense. If he is not hurt he needs to play so the team get gain more chemistry going into the playoffs.

Quote 0 0
Northern Neighbour
It's not so simple about him being hurt or not. It's about ensuring his body is and stays healthy from now and until the end of the playoffs. The team is taking a much longer view than looking at this game-to-game like some fans. How they are determining when Leonard plays and rests is beyond me. 

(Don't get me wrong, I, too, am growing impatient.)
Quote 0 0
moremilk
JeffB_STR82DVD wrote:


It makes not sense. If he is not hurt he needs to play so the team get gain more chemistry going into the playoffs.



well, unless you think the team's staff is insane, they clearly are doing it for a reason. Unless you know, or suspect what the reason is, you can't say it makes no sense - all you can do is admit ignorance … 😉
Quote 0 0
moremilk
deaner wrote:


It’s a core question as a raptor fan. Everyone is operating under different assumptions.


ok, so what are those assumptions - I'm really curious, as I said, to know what you, for example think? 

On one hand, you have the stated reason, that we're sitting him to maximize his playoff impact.

On the other hand, you have a lot of fans who don't buy it - that think there's some hidden reasons, not readily apparent - but few people actually make any suggestions as to what those reasons might be …

As the team stated, they are just being overly cautious. There is no specific health problem, but the type of injury he had requires careful management of playing time, the more you play, the likelier you stress out the injured parts and increase the risk of re-injury. On the flip side, you have to balance the risk of not playing him at all (rust, chemistry etc). Knowing all they do, they feel this is the best path - playing him about 2 games a week.

I can't say I have reasons to doubt this too much, it does make sense to me and I can't think of any other reason. 

And, if this IS the reason, I will absolutely be in support of the team, clearly they have way more information than we do, and they're not idiots. Surely they understand the downside of not playing, especially with all the new faces. 
Quote 0 0
deaner
I really haven’t been that creative in thinking about this. I personally believe they are holding something back (as in full potential on display) Kawhi could have something chemically going on in his body. Something that is limiting his muscle recovery for example.

Personal opinion could vary from Kawhi is convinced he’s leaving and isn’t going to put his health in jeopardy, to he suffering from extreme anxiety issues, to a stress fracture not really healing properly.

Who knows. My main point was each raptor fan is operating from their imagination. Which is never a good thing.
Quote 0 0
Rene_13
deaner wrote:
I really haven’t been that creative in thinking about this. I personally believe they are holding something back (as in full potential on display) Kawhi could have something chemically going on in his body. Something that is limiting his muscle recovery for example.

Personal opinion could vary from Kawhi is convinced he’s leaving and isn’t going to put his health in jeopardy, to he suffering from extreme anxiety issues, to a stress fracture not really healing properly.

Who knows. My main point was each raptor fan is operating from their imagination. Which is never a good thing.


I’ve heard Grange when he’s on the fan 590 refer to managing Kawhi’s condition, as to what’s going on with Kawhi’s load management. Referring to it as a condition doesn’t really say much, but he acknowledges that he doesn’t have any inside information, but probably more than us as fans. When asked, Kawhi says that he’s not hurt. The only thing I can read into is that he either needs or feels like he needs extra time to recover and not risk being in a position to deteriorate his body or reinjure. There are muscular conditions that limit recovery, but I doubt he’d be able to play at this level as much as he does. There’s a soccer player who was once touted as potentially the next Messi, scored the World Cup winning goal in 2014, and declined rapidly until they found out he had a degenerative muscular condition. I don’t see this kind of decline in Kawhi.

The playoffs will tell us a lot about where he’s at, because you’d assume he’s not resting any of those games and they played like 15 games in 29 days back in 2015. That kind of grind would show us where he’s at.
Quote 0 0
Northern Neighbour
I have wondered - and shared it here - if Leonard has a degenerative condition or chronic issue with his knee / ankle / some extremity. Or maybe the team just thinks it is better to ease him back where he missed every third game. I have no idea. As long as Leonard is healthy come the playoffs, the team plays well and deep into May and hopefully June, then the Raps will have accomplished what they wanted with "load management". Fans, too, will applaud their conservative approach.  
Quote 0 0
LX
Northern Neighbour wrote:
I have wondered - and shared it here - if Leonard has a degenerative condition or chronic issue with his knee / ankle / some extremity. Or maybe the team just thinks it is better to ease him back where he missed every third game. I have no idea. As long as Leonard is healthy come the playoffs, the team plays well and deep into May and hopefully June, then the Raps will have accomplished what they wanted with "load management". Fans, too, will applaud their conservative approach.  


Degenerative condition is exactly what comes to my mind, though I don’t know what that means exactly. He just has weird instances of injury where there shouldn’t really be injury. When he had to sit out due to injury earlier this season nothing really happened to cause the injury. And right now he looks to be bothered in his shoulder area for no apparent reason. It would feel really good to see him come down the court and throw down a fierce dunk like he did in November.
Quote 0 0
Northern Neighbour
LX wrote:


Degenerative condition is exactly what comes to my mind, though I don’t know what that means exactly. He just has weird instances of injury where there shouldn’t really be injury. When he had to sit out due to injury earlier this season nothing really happened to cause the injury. And right now he looks to be bothered in his shoulder area for no apparent reason. It would feel really good to see him come down the court and throw down a fierce dunk like he did in November.


Leonard hurt his left shoulder midway through the fourth quarter (maybe it was later) of the Portland game. Looked like he strained it. 
Quote 0 0