shadowfax Show full post »
LeBronIsYourDaddy
i think Siakam is better than Beal at basketball. Right now. Almost all advanced metrics would agree with me this season. Especially defensively but even offensively Siakams eFG% is thru the roof.

 Losing a kid like that on a contract like that?? He is long term. His qualifying offer is 3.5 in 2021 lol
Quote 0 0
Northern Neighbour
LeBronIsYourDaddy wrote:
i think Siakam is better than Beal at basketball. Right now. Almost all advanced metrics would agree with me this season. Especially defensively but even offensively Siakams eFG% is thru the roof.

 Losing a kid like that on a contract like that?? He is long term. His qualifying offer is 3.5 in 2021 lol


Milky falls in love with certain players and he stubbornly holds on to his opinions. You should have seen the discussions involving DD and Nicolas Batum.
Quote 0 0
JeffB
Knicks beat Memphis tonight. We'll get their best shot on Tuesday. NYK playing better lately, 3 wins in a row vs Pelicans/Celtics/Grizzlies
Quote 0 0
LeBronIsYourDaddy
 Memphis overachieving. Dont stop believing.
Quote 0 0
Ball Don't Lie
That Kawhi guy is pretty good. I'd have him guard Conley and Siakim on Gasol, then front the post if they try to post Gasol, and on P+R  just switch. Memphis shouldn't have enough firepower to beat us if we play the right defensive schemes. 
Quote 0 0
Ball Don't Lie
Also, you have to give it up for DWade. He's just so skilled and patient versus all comers. What a great flashback game. 
Quote 0 0
Toby
double double for Vagilicious, can't beat that.
Quote 0 0
0nekhmer
Impressive game from Wade. He's just so calm and patient on the floor, especially that one play where he faked out 3 of our defenders and just floated it in. Siakam continues to surprise me every game. Like I thought it was hyperbolic to compare him to Draymond Green but he legit looks like he's on that path to stardom.
Quote 0 0
moremilk
Northern Neighbour wrote:


Milky falls in love with certain players and he stubbornly holds on to his opinions. You should have seen the discussions involving DD and Nicolas Batum.


how the heck did you come to that conclusion (that I stubbornly hold on to it)? I just mentioned it once, as a possible trade that I'd be in favour of. Beal is an established all star with a track record of playoff success, he's young and on a good contract. He's a fit on any team because he's an all around guy, great shooter, very good ball handler and a plus defender. Because of all that, he will be expensive, more expensive than say butler, who might be a better player in a vacuum.

Am I saying we have to trade for him? No - but I think we'd be a better playoff team if we do.
If this team has one weakness, it's that we are light on shot creators. Outside of kawhi, we have no other player with a history of being able to create his shot against playoff defenses. Beal would give us a second guy, and we'd only sacrifice depth, which is less important.

Is it a risky trade? You bet, siakam and OG are true blue chip prospects now with a great future. I'd be very happy if we don't make this trade, I would even give you that it's better than 50-50 that in a few years we'd look like losers in this potential trade. But if Kawhi leaves, it matters little, we are now really, really close to a title. Far closer than we've ever been, and far closer than we'll be anytime soon if Kawhi leaves. A trade for Beal brings us a bit closer, while not sacrificing our future (like a butler trade would have done). 

As for demar for batum, I could point out that that conversation was 4 years ago when demar was a far weaker player that he developed in recent years. Or I could point out that you said demar is as good a player as Giannis a few months ago … Even if I was wrong then, doesn't mean I can never be right, same as you are allowed to be right in the future, despite your highly questionable claim about Giannis and demar 😉
Quote 0 0
Northern Neighbour
moremilk wrote:


how the heck did you come to that conclusion (that I stubbornly hold on to it)? I just mentioned it once, as a possible trade that I'd be in favour of. Beal is an established all star with a track record of playoff success, he's young and on a good contract. He's a fit on any team because he's an all around guy, great shooter, very good ball handler and a plus defender. Because of all that, he will be expensive, more expensive than say butler, who might be a better player in a vacuum.

Am I saying we have to trade for him? No - but I think we'd be a better playoff team if we do.
If this team has one weakness, it's that we are light on shot creators. Outside of kawhi, we have no other player with a history of being able to create his shot against playoff defenses. Beal would give us a second guy, and we'd only sacrifice depth, which is less important.

Is it a risky trade? You bet, siakam and OG are true blue chip prospects now with a great future. I'd be very happy if we don't make this trade, I would even give you that it's better than 50-50 that in a few years we'd look like losers in this potential trade. But if Kawhi leaves, it matters little, we are now really, really close to a title. Far closer than we've ever been, and far closer than we'll be anytime soon if Kawhi leaves. A trade for Beal brings us a bit closer, while not sacrificing our future (like a butler trade would have done). 

As for demar for batum, I could point out that that conversation was 4 years ago when demar was a far weaker player that he developed in recent years. Or I could point out that you said demar is as good a player as Giannis a few months ago … Even if I was wrong then, doesn't mean I can never be right, same as you are allowed to be right in the future, despite your highly questionable claim about Giannis and demar 😉


I raise Batum because it shows how you overvalue players on other teams, often overstating their strengths and overlooking their weaknesses. For instances, you say Beal is a plus defender. He is not that. He is a below-average defensive player and has been his entire career. He’s worse than DD this year.

Second, he is not an elite offensive player. He’s had two good playoff series. Last year, Lowry shut him down. Two years ago, it was JR Smith. Beal’s offensive game is highly overrated, and one only needs to look at all the stats. Again, he’s a career 107 ORtg player with a career high of 112. That’s not elite. That’s barely above-average.

And in the trade you propose, it’s not just giving up depth but potential two impact players who are having better years than Beal. Siakam is having a monster season, and he’s nearly untouchable given his size, skills, contract, and flexibility. I showed you the stats, which says it all.

What puzzles me the most is how you advocate for acquiring Beal yet raise a number of issues with the team. You worry about the team’s defence, yet you suggest dealing two or three of the Raps’ most versatile and best defenders (Siakam, Green, and Wright) yet replace them with a subpar defender.

You worry about matching up with Golden State, but in dealing Siakam/OG, Green, and Wright, you make the team weaker in its ability to match up with GSW’s death lineups let alone guard Durant, Cousins, Green, and Thompson.

You want more shooting but suggest replacing Green (over 40%), Wright (35%) for Beal (32.8%).

The team doesn’t get better in your suggested deal. Something like Wright, Powell, and a first-round pick - sure and have Beal come off the bench to provide instant offence. However, dealing him for two starters is a non-starter. No deal should include Siakam or OG or Green if the goal is to compete with GSW. And any deal involving Siakam and OG is sacrificing the future and for at best a minimal upgrade in the long run (and possibly downgrade when speaking about Siakam and his monster season that sees him in the top-10 to -20 in the majority of advanced stats).
Quote 1 0
elT
JeffB_STR82DVD wrote:
Knicks beat Memphis tonight. We'll get their best shot on Tuesday. NYK playing better lately, 3 wins in a row vs Pelicans/Celtics/Grizzlies


We get everyone's best shot for some time now. since that winning streak last year and securing the #1 seed sometimes in February/March last season. Especially opposing benches have been going super hard against our bench mob and have been specifically prepared to do so. Part of the reason, along with health and changes, our bench mob isn't as effective as first 50 games of last season.

17-4, best record in the league, elite team for past few years. We haven't been sneaking up on anyone for a long time.
Quote 0 0
RockOnline
I love this team, but every year from here on out, it's going to be harder and harder to retain all these players. Decisions will have to be made, but until then I will just enjoy the moments.
Quote 0 0
JeffB
elT wrote:


We get everyone's best shot for some time now. since that winning streak last year and securing the #1 seed sometimes in February/March last season. Especially opposing benches have been going super hard against our bench mob and have been specifically prepared to do so. Part of the reason, along with health and changes, our bench mob isn't as effective as first 50 games of last season.

17-4, best record in the league, elite team for past few years. We haven't been sneaking up on anyone for a long time.


Obviously, but there is a difference between getting the best shot of teams like Miami, Atlanta, Wizards vs top 5 teams.
Quote 0 0