JeffB Show full post »
DanH
moremilk wrote:


Sure, but you will still lose that player in 2021, so getting an asset now, might make sense if the asset is strong enough.


Sure. It's probably too late to get a good asset for both C's though. Only so many landing places for rentals, doubly so mid-season.
Quote 0 0
moremilk
DanH wrote:


Sure. It's probably too late to get a good asset for both C's though. Only so many landing places for rentals, doubly so mid-season.


Possibly, but there will be an arm race this February, and teams have seen the impact gasol made for us last season.

A team like Milwaukee or boston may feel like they need a guy like Marc against Philly. The clippers are also very light at center facing a number of strong bigs in the west.

We gave a lot for Marc last season, but it was worth it. I'm pretty sure other teams will feel the same.

Quote 0 0
Philosoraptor
[tumblr_inline_nipimjIrjV1r6ypdw] 
Quote 3 0
Rene_13
moremilk wrote:


Possibly, but there will be an arm race this February, and teams have seen the impact gasol made for us last season.

A team like Milwaukee or boston may feel like they need a guy like Marc against Philly. The clippers are also very light at center facing a number of strong bigs in the west.

We gave a lot for Marc last season, but it was worth it. I'm pretty sure other teams will feel the same.




It’s also dependant on what we see from him this season. If he really slows down, we can’t expect much. But, if he comes back determined, healthy and playing good ball teams will certainly inquire. He’s playing with Spain this summer and then will report to training camp shortly after the World Cup so he’ll likely be in great shape.
Quote 0 0
DocHolliday
moremilk wrote:


Possibly, but there will be an arm race this February, and teams have seen the impact gasol made for us last season.

A team like Milwaukee or boston may feel like they need a guy like Marc against Philly. The clippers are also very light at center facing a number of strong bigs in the west.

We gave a lot for Marc last season, but it was worth it. I'm pretty sure other teams will feel the same.



I think it would be easier for contenders to move a 25 million contract than it is to absorb one midseason; and teams with enough cap space that could have helped facilitate a trade don't have that space anymore.  Looking at the numbers, current contenders have their cap tied up with 2-3 super stars and then a bunch of role players.  Not to mention, a few have used all their available picks/assets in the near future.  

I think this arms race this season will be a fight over released/waived players and small tweaks through trades.
Quote 0 0
moremilk
DocHolliday wrote:


I think it would be easier for contenders to move a 25 million contract than it is to absorb one midseason; and teams with enough cap space that could have helped facilitate a trade don't have that space anymore.  Looking at the numbers, current contenders have their cap tied up with 2-3 super stars and then a bunch of role players.  Not to mention, a few have used all their available picks/assets in the near future.  

I think this arms race this season will be a fight over released/waived players and small tweaks through trades.


That's true enough, but not all teams are out of ammo. Boston could put together a package, and then there are the teams coming from behind, the surprise teams. Maybe Chicago, or Atlanta etc.

Whatever happens, won't make a big difference for our development, so I don't really care - either way is fine for me. I'm far more interested to see how og and siakam develop and mesh, that's what really worries me.

If we end up with a star duo next summer, we're going to be in good shape for many years I think. If siakam struggles to take another step forward, and the OG is not a most improved candidate, it will create a very uncomfortable situation.

Having max cap space in 2021 is not very useful if siakam is not perceived as a superstar by then. Our primary plan is to build a team around these two guys I think, so the next season, and the one after are going to be crucial.
Quote 0 0