JeffB Show full post »
DocHolliday
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/i-knew-i-would-be-here-today-thousands-demand-racial-justice-at-march-on-washington/ar-BB18tat8?ocid=spartan-dhp-feeds
Quote 0 0
DocHolliday
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259397/Jaylen-Brown-Says-Hes-Not-Sure-If-Owners-Will-Back-Up-Pledge-To-Support-Players
Quote 0 0
Rudy-T
KAWHACTUS wrote:


As you consumed the oppressive narrative of the American mass propaganda machinery, you seemed to have missed the part where the fires and destruction is being carried out by caucasion operatives posing as BLM protesters.


If I understood correctly, you think I consume a lot of American right wing mass propaganda. That could not be more wrong. I live in Finland and I would say that the major news here probably leans heavily left. Our traditional conservatives are way left and more liberal than democratic party in US. Outside that I occasionally read some US media outlets and actually follow a lot of media that is strongly for BLM (e.g. anything NBA related). 

Quote:
They organise in the dark recesses of facebook's secret groups and the mishmash of "conservative" web sites, the preferred platform for alt-facts. 
This idiot brought the means of certain death to the 3rd day of a loud, angry protest denouncing police violence in relation to Jacob Blake, shot in the back 7 times, in broad daylight, in front of 3 of his very young children. 
I get it. 
This shit wasn't happening in his town, but there was a call to arms ... and he strapped on and saddled up. 
The tough part is he was coddled and encouraged by the white wink/head nod and a hell yeah brother! thanks for coming out, by police ...
He is being celebrated as a vigilante on the side of property owners, the machinery is splashing a photo of him appearing to scrub graffiti, in his PPE.


This is kind of my point. The kid was in a place where he should not have been, carrying a weapon I don't think he should be allowed to have, and the police are just ok with that. He should not have been allowed to get into such situation. And he will hopefully be sentenced for two murders. But the people organizing these kids to the streets, will not be punished. The policy/national guard personnel letting him walk around with the semi-automatic rifle will not be punished. Even after the shootings, he tried to surrender to police/national guard, who just ignored him. Those officers will not be punished. The guns laws allowing him to be there with the gun will not be changed. The individual will be punished, but the forces actually responsible, will not be. 

I am not saying he didn't do anything wrong, but I think that to avoid these things, laws have to change, police has to change. 

Quote:
GTFOH

He does not enjoy the benefit of qualified immunity of LE, is too young to open carry in Illinois, carried a gun over state lines, FLED THE STATE after firing shots aimed at live human beings while not in a combat situation but a conflict created by his very ARMED presence.


But why is he not stopped from running around with the arms before this happens? The gun laws should be changed and the law enforcement should step in and prevent him from getting into a situation he cannot handle. 

KAWHACTUS wrote:

At the very least, racists are misguided.
They become confused and panicked in the face of the current reality. 
No one likes them or their antiquated ideas.


Yes he probably is racists and he is definetly very misguided. However unfortunately there are way too many people in US who share his ideas. This is the change that needs to happen. In the end while he will hopefully be sentenced, that wont change anything. There are too many people with similar ideas. 
 
I am not sympatethic to what he stands for. Just for the young individual who will suffer as his life is ruined. Still I 100% agree that he is responsible for killing two people and should be sentenced for those actions. 
Quote 0 0
KAWHACTUS
Rudy-T wrote:


If I understood correctly, you think I consume a lot of American right wing mass propaganda. That could not be more wrong. I live in Finland and I would say that the major news here probably leans heavily left. Our traditional conservatives are way left and more liberal than democratic party in US. Outside that I occasionally read some US media outlets and actually follow a lot of media that is strongly for BLM (e.g. anything NBA related). 

Rudy-T wrote:


This is kind of my point. The kid was in a place where he should not have been, carrying a weapon I don't think he should be allowed to have, and the police are just ok with that. He should not have been allowed to get into such situation. And he will hopefully be sentenced for two murders. But the people organizing these kids to the streets, will not be punished. The policy/national guard personnel letting him walk around with the semi-automatic rifle will not be punished. Even after the shootings, he tried to surrender to police/national guard, who just ignored him. Those officers will not be punished. The guns laws allowing him to be there with the gun will not be changed. The individual will be punished, but the forces actually responsible, will not be. 

I am not saying he didn't do anything wrong, but I think that to avoid these things, laws have to change, police has to change. 

Rudy-T wrote:


But why is he not stopped from running around with the arms before this happens? The gun laws should be changed and the law enforcement should step in and prevent him from getting into a situation he cannot handle. 

Rudy-T wrote:


Yes he probably is racists and he is definetly very misguided. However unfortunately there are way too many people in US who share his ideas. This is the change that needs to happen. In the end while he will hopefully be sentenced, that wont change anything. There are too many people with similar ideas. 
 
I am not sympatethic to what he stands for. Just for the young individual who will suffer as his life is ruined. Still I 100% agree that he is responsible for killing two people and should be sentenced for those actions. 


There are many people with his ideals, but not too many. 
Just the desperate minority that is clinging to past ideals that were brewed and steeped in the american white supremacist past.
The good thing is this time, their children and grand children are leading this charge for change.
Look up the hashtags #___ while black ... catch up.
Quote 1 0
LX
KAWHACTUS wrote:


There are many people with his ideals, but not too many. 
Just the desperate minority that is clinging to past ideals that were brewed and steeped in the american white supremacist past.
The good thing is this time, their children and grand children are leading this charge for change.
Look up the hashtags #___ while black ... catch up.


That white supremacist past is entirely present, and not just in social media circles, but in places of real power. I feel pretty good about change being possible at this point, but that’s only at the beginning, and just like with the movements of the sixties, a lot of the usual oppression can fall back into place soon enough and the bulk of the population, including those that lead the charge, black and white, end up just wanting to keep their job or get a job or get a promotion while accepting whatever political shit as just political, ready to complain about race cards and reverse discrimination and the unfair idea of pointing at privilege simply for trying to get by within a system with imperfections that come only from ideals rooted in the past. There’s still a long way to go to budge that massive indifference that can become scornful, even hateful, when the usual fears are ignited by those in power and then blamed on “the other”. Or there’s the other wonderful scenario of neo-liberals saying all the right things and doing everything they can to make obvious injustice and inequality tolerable by doing mostly nothing to alter the status quo. Long way to go.
Quote 3 0
KAWHACTUS
LX wrote:


That white supremacist past is entirely present, and not just in social media circles, but in places of real power. I feel pretty good about change being possible at this point, but that’s only at the beginning, and just like with the movements of the sixties, a lot of the usual oppression can fall back into place soon enough and the bulk of the population, including those that lead the charge, black and white, end up just wanting to keep their job or get a job or get a promotion while accepting whatever political shit as just political, ready to complain about race cards and reverse discrimination and the unfair idea of pointing at privilege simply for trying to get by within a system with imperfections that come only from ideals rooted in the past. There’s still a long way to go to budge that massive indifference that can become scornful, even hateful, when the usual fears are ignited by those in power and then blamed on “the other”. Or there’s the other wonderful scenario of neo-liberals saying all the right things and doing everything they can to make obvious injustice and inequality tolerable by doing mostly nothing to alter the status quo. Long way to go.


I agree with this 100% because its happened 3 times in my short life. 
The stakes are higher now but the WS have their king Biden in the cat bird seat.
Quote 0 0
Mo_fusion
https://theathletic.com/2037923/2020/09/01/sherrifs-deputy-accuses-ujiri-of-falsely-alleging-racial-animus-in-countersuit/?amp
Quote 0 0
DocHolliday
"...was following orders"...so many atrocities are committed by people claiming "I was just following orders".  Fuck that bullshit.
Quote 2 0
Northern Neighbour
DocHolliday wrote:
"...was following orders"...so many atrocities are committed by people claiming "I was just following orders".  Fuck that bullshit.


And the suit essentially blames the NBA and GSW for the deputy’s actions. The body cam footage shows that he was polite and cordial with people - white people - right up to the confrontation with Ujiri. When the Raptors President approaches, he immediately shoves him and doesn’t engage in any dialogue. He could have simply put his hand up and asked, “Excuse me sir, but can I see your credentials?” That’s it. End of story.


The deputy is digging his own grave deeper into the ground. 
Quote 4 0
DocHolliday
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/multi-million-settlement-reached-in-breonna-taylor-lawsuit/ar-BB1949Jn?appwebview=true&ocid=spartanntp
Quote 1 0
CobraKing


And the suit essentially blames the NBA and GSW for the deputy’s actions. The body cam footage shows that he was polite and cordial with people - white people - right up to the confrontation with Ujiri. When the Raptors President approaches, he immediately shoves him and doesn’t engage in any dialogue. He could have simply put his hand up and asked, “Excuse me sir, but can I see your credentials?” That’s it. End of story.


The deputy is digging his own grave deeper into the ground. 


I respect the law but this Deputy clearly doesn't respect it. Right thing to have done was to apologize to Masai for the misunderstanding and moved on, but the bozo went on stress leave and then tries to 'get paid' on top of that. Deserves every bit of backlash he gets for this and should also pay Masai's legal fees. 
Quote 0 0