shadowfax Show full post »
moremilk
Mo_fusion wrote:
Not sure where you are milk but a lot of us in South western Ontario. I guess all I can say is enjoy the moment...youre right it will never be THE SAME.

I left a teary eyed son at home yestersay - trust me i almost changed my mind when he was at the door saying we can watch it at home (fyi he is 6 and I knew damn well he was not gonna watch it, he's not quite there yet to sit down for the duration) to go to a viewing party in town that is not as kid friendly. Because I knew, these are the moments. I'm okay with catching the next couple at home now, but for any closeout game especially for raps you danbm well can be sure I'll be in the middle of a bunch of tweeners, tweakers and a few old timers sprinkled in screaming my head off in Toronto.


I'm in the gta - Markham to be precise. 

To give you an idea of how hyped the city was, my 9 year old daughter, who runs from the room (literally) anytime I suggest she watch a game with me, actually asked if she can watch (and lasted all of 6 minutes 😉). They had, like probably most schools, a raptors day, and when I dropped/picked her from school, there's raptors gear and basketballs everywhere.

I still remember about 3-4 years ago when I started to see some raptors gear in the school - before that, it was all leafs/jays stuff. Pretty safe to say that now raptors are the top team for these kids. It obviously helps that it's so easy to play the game, pretty much all year round.

In 10 years, all these kids will be raptor fans in Jurassic park, especially if kawhi stays - ensuring a decade+ streak of playoff appearances which is inching towards dallas/san antonio longevity.


Quote 0 0
LX
moremilk wrote:


you know what else makes me a little (very little) sad? The fact that this is such a unique moment, that I'm probably never going to experience again.

If Kawhi stays, we may win titles and the team will definitely be a contender for the foreseeable future. But it will never, ever, be like this again - at least not for a long time to come.

Reading all these articles about how the entire country gets behind this - it's so great and so unique.

I guess my only hope is to start watching hockey, because the only thing that may come close, at least in the gta area, is the leafs winning a title 😉


Our lives are filled with moments that can never be experienced the same way again in the fullest sense. There’s not the slightest thing sad about that. Future experiences are enriched by that fact. You get to cycle back to the great things you’ve held onto and cherished in your memories, which helps keep them alive, while adding onto all that and transcending the moment at hand. It’s all connected. Sure the effect of another big ride next season and the season after is likely to feel a bit lessened in some sense. But only a little, while other aspects will get heightened, and if success stretches out to any extent then that becomes a fantastic element of the experience in and of itself. Then when decline begins there is a wistfulness that only adds another full dimension. Then 20 years from now a similar thing could happen that gets you cycling through the whole set of riches and getting a whole new taste with added ingredients and tastebuds that can distinguish each and every flavor. You live in the moment and carry it to the next one where you are something of a new person according to how that moment changes you. I mean today nobody much lives in any moment as we go from one infantilized data stream to the next while our phones accumulate evidence of experiences that are essentially missed. Nothing much is connected on a personal level. Just the data. Something like what we are going through now breaks through that. Maybe it’s sad that not enough does break through the algorithms within which we end up straight jacketed. 

I would not be enjoying this half as much if I had not loved so many other moments in basketball over many many years. Where is there room for an ounce of sadness in that? Not even a very little bit.
Quote 2 0
Raptorman
I hate when people see my Raptor attire and assume I am a Leaf fan jumping on the bandwagon.

"Raptors doing good eh? Wont it be better when the Leafs win the cup?"

Ah No. And this shirt is 20 yrs old. Fkk off.
Quote 0 0
Stihlman
Raptorman wrote:
I hate when people see my Raptor attire and assume I am a Leaf fan jumping on the bandwagon.

"Raptors doing good eh? Wont it be better when the Leafs win the cup?"

Ah No. And this shirt is 20 yrs old. Fkk off.

Just reply,"Ya that would be nice,but won't it be nice if the Raptors win it all?"
See what he says.[rolleyes]
Quote 0 0
Wu
Raptorman wrote:
I hate when people see my Raptor attire and assume I am a Leaf fan jumping on the bandwagon.

"Raptors doing good eh? Wont it be better when the Leafs win the cup?"

Ah No. And this shirt is 20 yrs old. Fkk off.


Well, if you figure that the sweetness of the raps success is due in part to the fact that it has been a long time in coming, then I would expect that the answer to their question would be yes..... it will be even sweeter if the leafs reach the same level. No harm in saying that. Doesn't take anything away from how sweet the raps success is.
Quote 0 0
Mo_fusion
LX wrote:


Our lives are filled with moments that can never be experienced the same way again in the fullest sense. There’s not the slightest thing sad about that. Future experiences are enriched by that fact. You get to cycle back to the great things you’ve held onto and cherished in your memories, which helps keep them alive, while adding onto all that and transcending the moment at hand. It’s all connected. Sure the effect of another big ride next season and the season after is likely to feel a bit lessened in some sense. But only a little, while other aspects will get heightened, and if success stretches out to any extent then that becomes a fantastic element of the experience in and of itself. Then when decline begins there is a wistfulness that only adds another full dimension. Then 20 years from now a similar thing could happen that gets you cycling through the whole set of riches and getting a whole new taste with added ingredients and tastebuds that can distinguish each and every flavor. You live in the moment and carry it to the next one where you are something of a new person according to how that moment changes you. I mean today nobody much lives in any moment as we go from one infantilized data stream to the next while our phones accumulate evidence of experiences that are essentially missed. Nothing much is connected on a personal level. Just the data. Something like what we are going through now breaks through that. Maybe it’s sad that not enough does break through the algorithms within which we end up straight jacketed. 

I would not be enjoying this half as much if I had not loved so many other moments in basketball over many many years. Where is there room for an ounce of sadness in that? Not even a very little bit.


Can we sticky this mod???

+1 and all valid in its own right,i sir would be willing to meet you - and everyone here - to share these thoughts. I shared it with the Mrs.

to moremilk's point...this is the FIRST TIME and that itself does hold a truly special place, I hear yah. But yes LX we will build from this.

On that note any TRF meet up or everyone just comfortable staying behind avatar?
Quote 0 0
Wu
Finals baby!!
Quote 0 0
JeffB
Wu wrote:


Well, if you figure that the sweetness of the raps success is due in part to the fact that it has been a long time in coming, then I would expect that the answer to their question would be yes..... it will be even sweeter if the leafs reach the same level. No harm in saying that. Doesn't take anything away from how sweet the raps success is.


Sweeter for who? 
Quote 0 0
JeffB
Raptorman wrote:
I hate when people see my Raptor attire and assume I am a Leaf fan jumping on the bandwagon.

"Raptors doing good eh? Wont it be better when the Leafs win the cup?"

Ah No. And this shirt is 20 yrs old. Fkk off.


Leaf fans tend to assume you can't possibly prefer basketball. 
Quote 0 0
Wu
JeffB wrote:


Sweeter for who? 


For everyone who likes when good things happen to Toronto.  And I dont mean sweeter by contrast.  I mean sweeter in addition.  Build a sugar mountain out of it all.
Quote 0 0
Mo_fusion
LX wrote:


Our lives are filled with moments that can never be experienced the same way again in the fullest sense. There’s not the slightest thing sad about that. Future experiences are enriched by that fact. You get to cycle back to the great things you’ve held onto and cherished in your memories, which helps keep them alive, while adding onto all that and transcending the moment at hand. It’s all connected. Sure the effect of another big ride next season and the season after is likely to feel a bit lessened in some sense. But only a little, while other aspects will get heightened, and if success stretches out to any extent then that becomes a fantastic element of the experience in and of itself. Then when decline begins there is a wistfulness that only adds another full dimension. Then 20 years from now a similar thing could happen that gets you cycling through the whole set of riches and getting a whole new taste with added ingredients and tastebuds that can distinguish each and every flavor. You live in the moment and carry it to the next one where you are something of a new person according to how that moment changes you. I mean today nobody much lives in any moment as we go from one infantilized data stream to the next while our phones accumulate evidence of experiences that are essentially missed. Nothing much is connected on a personal level. Just the data. Something like what we are going through now breaks through that. Maybe it’s sad that not enough does break through the algorithms within which we end up straight jacketed. 

I would not be enjoying this half as much if I had not loved so many other moments in basketball over many many years. Where is there room for an ounce of sadness in that? Not even a very little bit.


Damn son
Quote 1 0
elT
Bwahahha
Mo getting hit twice by same LX post is priceless.
Quote 0 0