shadowfax Show full post »
LX
I don’t think it’s just Tony Brothers. The calls throughout this series have been noticeably tilted toward Orlando. It feels like there is an attempt to give the other guys an edge they desperately need. I just want to look past all of it myself. And so should the Raptors. Because ultimately they have to get even more ridiculous to change the outcome. I just gotta hope that the nonsense stops after this series.
Quote 1 0
'trane
elT wrote:


Nurse was bad tonight. From rotations to offensive game plan and level of preparation. He gets partiall pass because Kawhi was sick and couldn't practice but that doesn't excuse headless chicken offense. He deserves credit for exquisite defense and gameplan on that end including adjustment to Gasol foul trouble.


I think bad is a considerable over-exaggeration. And so have been a lot of the game thread comments (and in game 1 too).  Now I've been doing this a long time, and I get it, but we've been a lot better than this in past years.  We have lost any shred of patience as a fan base.  

Just look what was in your post.  Exquisite defense.  Sick Kawhi. Foul trouble on gasol, and a huge FT disparity. And we led almost the whole game and won.  And our coach was bad?

I agree the siakam + 4 bench guys isn't good.  I agree that not every sub seemed like the right one from my couch.  But he has mostly neutralized the Orlando offense, and hes not a 'coach-decides-every-play' kind of guy.  And we've had this roster for like 20 games or something. I'm not sure what you expect for him to be at least 'decent' or even - dare I say - 'good'.
Quote 1 0
Pzabby_2nd
Yeah I think Nurse is doing a great job.

It's not easy to blow out a team, travel to their home where they and their fans smell blood, and win anyway. Let alone when it's one of the most lopsided reffing displays ever. It felt like LA vs Sacremento. Except the refs were working for sacremento.

He's smart to ride siakam the way he has been. He's killing it. But I agree that the siakam + 4 bench guys lineup isn't working. I think he'll figure out a way around it soon enough without disrupting the rhythm of other lines/not getting guys too tired.
Quote 0 0
JeffB
After 3 games:

Magic 67 FTA

Raptors 41 FTA
Quote 1 0
elT
'trane wrote:


I think bad is a considerable over-exaggeration. And so have been a lot of the game thread comments (and in game 1 too).  Now I've been doing this a long time, and I get it, but we've been a lot better than this in past years.  We have lost any shred of patience as a fan base.  

Just look what was in your post.  Exquisite defense.  Sick Kawhi. Foul trouble on gasol, and a huge FT disparity. And we led almost the whole game and won.  And our coach was bad?

I agree the siakam + 4 bench guys isn't good.  I agree that not every sub seemed like the right one from my couch.  But he has mostly neutralized the Orlando offense, and hes not a 'coach-decides-every-play' kind of guy.  And we've had this roster for like 20 games or something. I'm not sure what you expect for him to be at least 'decent' or even - dare I say - 'good'.


The stuff I've been complaining about has been there all year. I've started complaining after ASB.

I'm looking for consistently present and aware offense with right people in right places doing right things and right people initiating and play making. That would mean not ever posting up Green on DJ Augustin while you have Kawhi, Siakam and Lowry on the floor. Nothing good has come out of that. And rightfully so.

We won the game but that is not the benchmark for me. I've been quite clear that this series is great opportunity to improve. I don't mind the bad officials, tight game, missed shots or even turnovers to an extent.

I'm frustrated by lack of tactical consistency and attention to detail on offense where roles often get confused and mixed up, where spot up shooters are often asked to make plays while really good play makers spot up. That kind of thing was OK in regular season for development purposes. Now? Now it is bad. And while margin of error against Orlando is wide, as this win showed, it will be a lot smaller or non existent in future series.
Quote 0 0
moremilk
I honestly don't get why nurse is being criticized, the only gripe I have with him is riding the bench unit too much. But given that kawhi was ill, and OG out, and no real threat in from Orlando, I can live with that.

The defense was outstanding, and the offense was good too. Kawhi forced the issue at times, and the calls were horrible, but that's not on nurse.

Even so, against an excellent defense, we shot 45% and 40% from 3, and had 26 assists on 39 field goals. That's pretty good imo.
Quote 2 0
Northern Neighbour
Nurse has been ok. He's definitely gotten better as the series has progressed. His rotations are better, and he's not forgetting to put his best player back in the game. He could still manage timeouts a bit better. That said, I don't have too many complaints about Nurse's job since Game 1.
Quote 2 0
'trane
elT wrote:


The stuff I've been complaining about has been there all year. I've started complaining after ASB.

I'm looking for consistently present and aware offense with right people in right places doing right things and right people initiating and play making. That would mean not ever posting up Green on DJ Augustin while you have Kawhi, Siakam and Lowry on the floor. Nothing good has come out of that. And rightfully so.

We won the game but that is not the benchmark for me. I've been quite clear that this series is great opportunity to improve. I don't mind the bad officials, tight game, missed shots or even turnovers to an extent.

I'm frustrated by lack of tactical consistency and attention to detail on offense where roles often get confused and mixed up, where spot up shooters are often asked to make plays while really good play makers spot up. That kind of thing was OK in regular season for development purposes. Now? Now it is bad. And while margin of error against Orlando is wide, as this win showed, it will be a lot smaller or non existent in future series.


That's a lot to ask for a coach in his first 3 post season games with a team that substantively changed its roster at the trade deadline.
Quote 0 0
elT
'trane wrote:


That's a lot to ask for a coach in his first 3 post season games with a team that substantively changed its roster at the trade deadline.


It has been an issue all year, before and after the trade. I don't think it is a lot to ask at all, not with this roster and these ambitions. It simply means getting guys better organized on offense and more consistently so.
Quote 0 0
Rudy-T
I think the win just shows how much better we are than Orlando. In my opinion our offense was not anywhere near the level it needs to be to beat good teams or even Orlando if they are playing well. So many bone headed plays and one-on-one basketball. When we are playing against better teams, we cant have that many wasted offensive possessions. Of course it was mostly Kawhi with 6 TO's and 26% shooting, but also whole team had similar issues. Siakam rescued us with efficient offense and guys like Green and Lowry also made some important buckets. 

The defense on the other hand was very good for most of the night. The only issue there to me was Vuc getting hot when Gasol had to sit due to foul difficulties. Other than that bench wasn't as bad as it has been. Powell and FVV were pretty ok in my opinion. Some bad plays, but some good also. Ibaka was the only one I was totally frustrated about. He let Vuc get hot, was shooting poorly and his decision making was also very bad in offense. 

Overall I think we had issues offensively, but we are so much better team and our solid defense kept us a float. It didnt really look like we would lose at anypoint, but it was still frustrating. 
Quote 0 0
moremilk
Rudy-T wrote:
I think the win just shows how much better we are than Orlando. In my opinion our offense was not anywhere near the level it needs to be to beat good teams or even Orlando if they are playing well. So many bone headed plays and one-on-one basketball. When we are playing against better teams, we cant have that many wasted offensive possessions. Of course it was mostly Kawhi with 6 TO's and 26% shooting, but also whole team had similar issues. Siakam rescued us with efficient offense and guys like Green and Lowry also made some important buckets. 

The defense on the other hand was very good for most of the night. The only issue there to me was Vuc getting hot when Gasol had to sit due to foul difficulties. Other than that bench wasn't as bad as it has been. Powell and FVV were pretty ok in my opinion. Some bad plays, but some good also. Ibaka was the only one I was totally frustrated about. He let Vuc get hot, was shooting poorly and his decision making was also very bad in offense. 

Overall I think we had issues offensively, but we are so much better team and our solid defense kept us a float. It didnt really look like we would lose at anypoint, but it was still frustrating. 


I think you're selling both Orlando's defense and the refs impact short. Whoever we play in the 2nd round, will be a downgrade defensively from Orlando, they've been really good and their one point of weakness, we don't really have a way to exploit it (Augustin). A guy like Bledsoe or irving would have eaten him alive, but kyle just doesn't have the foot speed to really exploit him, and the feeble attempts at posting DJ fell short.

Quote 0 0
Acie
Tonight 

8:00PM SN/SN1
Quote 0 0
Stihlman
T-Ross with the mid court buzzer beater at half time,forgot about that play...lol.
Quote 0 0
Wu
Great win with Leonard nearly a non-factor.  Spicy P was awesome.  
Quote 0 0