JeffB Show full post »
moremilk
Northern Neighbour wrote:
Another reason to go all-in now - 2021 off-season. The Raptors have zero contracts on the books for 2021-22 and beyond. Only Norman Powell has a guaranteed contract for the year before (2020-21) at $10.85M while OG Anunoby has a team option (likely to be picked up at $3.872M) and Pascal Siakam will be a restricted FA (the latter two, though, might be in any deal for Davis). There aren't any salary cap projections for 2021-22, but the early estimate for 2020-21 is $118M with a $143M luxury tax line. Let's assume a $5M increase, so $123M cap and a luxury tax line of nearly $150M. With a $123M, the Raptors can go shopping. Forget one or two max players - think three.

Who could be available? Potential unrestricted free agents in 2021: Giannis Antetekounmpo, Damian Lillard, Russell Westbrook, Paul George (player option), Rudy Gobert, DeMar DeRozan (early termination), Bradley Beal, Gordon Hayward (depending on his recovery), and LeBron James (player option and he'll turn 37 during the season). 

The list of restricted FAs is also impressive, led by Donovan Mitchell, Jayson Tatum, Josh Jackson, Lauri Markannen, De'Aaron Fox, Lonzo Ball, and others.

If Leonard doesn't re-sign, then you look to be competitive in 2019-20 or deal the expiring deals of Davis (assuming the Raptors acquire him), Lowry, Ibaka, Valunciunas, VanVleet, and Miles. Any transaction should focus on acquiring picks even if it means taking on players with another year (2020-21) left on their contract. The key is to clear out cap space for what could be a mega-FA bonanza. 2021 is also likely the year when high school players will once again be eligible for the NBA draft.


I don't think you can sign 3 max free agents even if you had zero salary on the books, you still need a shitload of empty spot holds. If you target veteran free agents, they would need to take significant pay cuts.
Quote 0 0
JeffB
Give me one of these players and I'll be happy:

Mathews
Mirotic
Ellington

Or any other forward that can hit threes consistently. I'd even be ok with Ross. Lol
Quote 0 0
elT
moremilk wrote:


I don't think you can sign 3 max free agents even if you had zero salary on the books, you still need a shitload of empty spot holds. If you target veteran free agents, they would need to take significant pay cuts.


But you can.
38M$ for a 10 year veteran.
32M$ for a 7 year veteran.
26M$ for a guy coming off a rookie deal.
96M$.
Cap is projected at 109M$.

Leaves 13M$ for 13 empty spot holds which are counted at rookie minimum rate which is significantly bellow 1M$ IIRC.

The numbers are of course rough. That it is there, in the ball part. Doesn't mean it easy.

However, cap engineering is easy if you actually get the guys to sign, that is the tough part.
Quote 0 0
LeBronIsYourDaddy
JeffB_STR82DVD wrote:


He is not going anywhere. And Aldridge took us seriously enough, he stated that his decision came down to Toronto and SAS. You're more negative than I am. And that takes some effort. 😂


 Lip service means nothing. he didnt even visit. he just used us as leverage. Drake gets more stars to visit than the Raptors do. Im not negative as you regarding the team. I just live in the reality where we have never ever attracted a high end free agent in 20+ years as a franchise but you guys seem to think if the best player we ever had leaves and we dump our engine suddenly they will be lining up. Good luck with that.


 The entire franchises future and how we are viewed hinges on Kawhi's decision. Look at how AD is talking about Boston doing IT dirty. The only loyal star (granted a 2nd tier star) we ever had thinks he got done dirty, too. Boston is a legendary franchise and sports town getting a bad rap by some over it, what are we?? A joke until Lowry/DeMar era.
Quote 0 0
deaner
LeBronIsYourDaddy wrote:



 not because we will fire him. because he will leave. big markets want him. NYC wants him. That list of high end free agents above wont come here when we lose Kawhi and have all these young not so great players + Siakam. Thats a dream.

 I pray im proven wrong but history has shown we dont attract them. Hell, Masai couldnt even get a 2nd tier star like Alridge to take us seriously.


Maybe you didn’t read KDs quote... raptors aren’t up and coming.. they’re here.
Quote 0 0
JeffB
LeBronIsYourDaddy wrote:


 Lip service means nothing. he didnt even visit. he just used us as leverage. Drake gets more stars to visit than the Raptors do. Im not negative as you regarding the team. I just live in the reality where we have never ever attracted a high end free agent in 20+ years as a franchise but you guys seem to think if the best player we ever had leaves and we dump our engine suddenly they will be lining up. Good luck with that.


 The entire franchises future and how we are viewed hinges on Kawhi's decision. Look at how AD is talking about Boston doing IT dirty. The only loyal star (granted a 2nd tier star) we ever had thinks he got done dirty, too. Boston is a legendary franchise and sports town getting a bad rap by some over it, what are we?? A joke until Lowry/DeMar era.


Ah, the old "I'm not negative, just realistic line." 😂 👌
Quote 1 0
duffer
When Lowry gets traded ill be so happy. then can get back to cheering for the raps again
Hes a loser
Quote 0 0
JeffB
duffer wrote:
When Lowry gets traded ill be so happy. then can get back to cheering for the raps again
Hes a loser


So you stop cheering for what you claim is your team because of your blind hatred for one player?

🗑️
Quote 0 0
LeBronIsYourDaddy
deaner wrote:


Maybe you didn’t read KDs quote... raptors aren’t up and coming.. they’re here.



 oh well then its official eh, crown'em!! 


 meanwhile you cant wait to trade the engine of the team. no irony lol
Quote 0 0
LeBronIsYourDaddy
JeffB_STR82DVD wrote:


Ah, the old "I'm not negative, just realistic line." 😂 👌


 exactly. until proven otherwise the Raptors cannot sign a tier 1 FA. Not even a tier 2 that isnt resigning. Thats realistic. Im sure Minny fans, Sac fans, Pelican fans and every other team that never lands the big fish come up with ridiculous fantasy FA signing every year too. Join the club.
Quote 0 0
LeBronIsYourDaddy
 no discussion of the Lowry/JV for Conley/Gasol that was seemingly discussed by both teams, altho conflicting reports on who initiated it. Many are saying it was Masai.

 i dont like it.
Quote 0 0
'trane
LeBronIsYourDaddy wrote:
 no discussion of the Lowry/JV for Conley/Gasol that was seemingly discussed by both teams, altho conflicting reports on who initiated it. Many are saying it was Masai.

 i dont like it.


Check out the raptors ramblings thread.
Quote 1 0