elT Show full post »
DocHolliday
DanH wrote:


The JV for Gasol trade might well have happened regardless but it wouldn't have helped the team win more. The Gasol trade was a matchup specific trade - it wasn't done to get through the first two rounds (and almost cost us against Philly) but specifically to deal with the defensive needs of the ECF and Finals. With DeMar here we don't make it out of the 2nd round, not in last year's East. DeMar's issues did not begin or end with LeBron. 

I do recall there being some news pieces that Wright had indicated he would be open to a trade to get a bigger opportunity. He was definitely not being used enough here.


Wouldn't it have though?  I'm just thinking the team would have still won enough to be encouraged to make an improvement, much like the Ibaka trade.  I don't know if we don't make it out of the second round, we'll never know now but Gasol brought so much goodness that I'd like to think we would have.  Though you're probably right as Gasol helped bring ball movement and DDR was more about ISO's.

Still, I'm not unhappy about the trade, I've debated many here about the merits of DDR, his weaknesses (mostly this) and his looming contract situation.  I'm just romanticising the past cause it's hard for me to not feel for DDR as the person.  I've been likening DDR to being a Nordique fan -  having your team move on despite your feelings, then seeing them win the cup the year they leave lol. Ah well.

Still the 2 best trades the franchise has ever made.  My hope these playoffs is that Gasol gets back to being more of a scoring threat.  With his body transformation and his stated desire to be much more aggressive on the scoring end, it has me a bit excited for this Friday when we finally get to see the team play.
Quote 0 0
JeffB
DocHolliday wrote:


That's fair - didn't know that, thanks 🙂  


All he said was that he knew something was coming. But I'm assuming that's why. Reports then came out right after the deal that he had let them know he'd rather be moved. I wonder if there was another deal in place to move him if the Gasol trade didn't happen.
Quote 0 0
LOG
LX wrote:


yeah it was a blockbuster, but the Gasol trade took a lot of balls as well. The amazing thing to me ends up being that each player became available just as Toronto was ready and able to pay the right price.

It’s a chicken and egg thing ultimately. If it’s all about winning then the trade that made the championship not just possible, but fully realized, has to be considered, knowing that it’s impossible to know just what happens with the one trade without the other. I just hope we get to see more dividends from the Gasol trade. If we do then it really starts to bend toward the second trade. And then the chicken and egg situation gets turned on its head as we might need to consider the Kawhi trade as ultimately superior in that it brought about the need for that finishing touch that ended up having the most lasting dividends. I’ve been watching too many poker webinars, so I’m getting way too into this kind of stuff that matches up with with valuations based on incomplete information. 


Gasol didn't just become available. I'm fairly sure he was in the trade talks for a while, but Memphis was waiting for the right offer.
Quote 0 0
LOG
DocHolliday wrote:


Wouldn't it have though?  I'm just thinking the team would have still won enough to be encouraged to make an improvement, much like the Ibaka trade.  I don't know if we don't make it out of the second round, we'll never know now but Gasol brought so much goodness that I'd like to think we would have.  Though you're probably right as Gasol helped bring ball movement and DDR was more about ISO's.

Still, I'm not unhappy about the trade, I've debated many here about the merits of DDR, his weaknesses (mostly this) and his looming contract situation.  I'm just romanticising the past cause it's hard for me to not feel for DDR as the person.  I've been likening DDR to being a Nordique fan -  having your team move on despite your feelings, then seeing them win the cup the year they leave lol. Ah well.

Still the 2 best trades the franchise has ever made.  My hope these playoffs is that Gasol gets back to being more of a scoring threat.  With his body transformation and his stated desire to be much more aggressive on the scoring end, it has me a bit excited for this Friday when we finally get to see the team play.


Bitter sweet for Demar for sure, but i have no doubt he was the happiest person in the room when Raps won the finals. He was happy for the country, the city, staff and teamates. Maybe he'll come back one day
Quote 0 0
LX
LOG wrote:


Gasol didn't just become available. I'm fairly sure he was in the trade talks for a while, but Memphis was waiting for the right offer.


yeah well he was available at just the right time - it was not an easy parting of ways for either side in Memphis
Quote 0 0
JeffB
LOG wrote:


Bitter sweet for Demar for sure, but i have no doubt he was the happiest person in the room when Raps won the finals. He was happy for the country, the city, staff and teamates. Maybe he'll come back one day


I think he was available for a while, especially once they moved Conley. Remember just before it was announced he was coming here there were reports that he was going to Charlotte.  I'm sure there were other teams kicking the tires on a Gasol trade.
Quote 0 0
elT
JeffB wrote:


I think he was available for a while, especially once they moved Conley. Remember just before it was announced he was coming here there were reports that he was going to Charlotte.  I'm sure there were other teams kicking the tires on a Gasol trade.


Conley was moved after Gasol. Both of them became available few weeks before the deadline that season because Memphis' was done and it was time for rebuild. Conley was traded in the summer.
Quote 0 0
JeffB
elT wrote:


Conley was moved after Gasol. Both of them became available few weeks before the deadline that season because Memphis' was done and it was time for rebuild. Conley was traded in the summer.
 

True. For some reason I thought he was traded before.
Quote 0 0